Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a set of suspension forks and fitting them.

Options
  • 28-09-2006 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I bought a hardrock ,rigid a few months back for using when it rains.
    I didn't want the cheapo forks that the basic model had because of the servicing issues and the extra weight.
    I've found though ,that balancing the bike when I've slowed down and manouvering around pavements is a lot harder without the supsension. (I use to have a cannondale ,years ago).

Is it possible to get a good ,cheap suspension fork and fit it yourself ??
    I've seen marzochi ones at cyclesuperstore for around the 300 euro mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Did the rigid fork come with the bike as standard or did you have it installed later? If it's the latter, and handing is affected, then it may be too short for the frame. Suspension won't do much to assist low-speed balancing though.

Installing a new fork is pretty straightforward. Here are some instructions:
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/forkoff.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Morgan wrote:
    Did the rigid fork come with the bike as standard or did you have it installed later? If it's the latter, and handing is affected, then it may be too short for the frame. Suspension won't do much to assist low-speed balancing though.

Installing a new fork is pretty straightforward. Here are some instructions:
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/forkoff.htm

Thanks for the quick reply ,the bike came with the forks .
    It's the cheapest specialized available ,but it's grand. The forks that are on the bike look odd looking ,very long and skinny.

Any recommendations for inexpensive suspension forks morgan ?

Something like a Marzocchi MX Comp would be suitable. They're pretty cheap at the moment. If you buy them locally you should be able to have them fitted for free.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8363

Thanks Morgan ,I rang up a shop and they said 35 euro for fitting.
    I don't mind paying 35 euro ,if I know it's done right . I thought forks were going to cost up to five hundred ,thanks for the help .

The weight of the forks you gave a link for ,seem fairly light aswell for a low budget set of forks ,cheers.

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I just bought some Marzocchi EXRs for e145 or so. Fitted myself, no hassle.

Not exactly top end jump forks now, but they're a world of a difference compared to the piece of crap Insync Grind 323 I was running on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

btw if you do it yourself you might (read: probably) need to buy a new star nut. Also there's a tool which helps insert it in the steerer tube correctly if you don't want to try hammering it in with a saucepan like I did ;)

Trojan wrote:
    btw if you do it yourself you might (read: probably) need to buy a new star nut. Also there's a tool which helps insert it in the steerer tube correctly if you don't want to try hammering it in with a saucepan like I did ;)

I'm not shy with tools ,I have a toolbox that I use everyday. When I looked at the link morgan gave ,it looked to me as if a bike mechanic should be doing it.
    The front end is critical for me ,at least if the back wheel falls off I can slide to safety (Hopefully):eek:

Thanks
    Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

IMHO, the newest lower end Rockshox forks are better value for money than the Marzocchis these days. E.g., this is a lovely fork for the money... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13113

I've been advised by two shops not to bother with suspension forks ,unless I'm going off road. They don't work unless theres a lot of force put on them.

The cannondale I had a few years back was really comfortable ,I never had to worry about hitting any bumps or lumps :( .

I don't want to waste money ,so now I don't think I'll bother :rolleyes:

They have a point - suspension forks will be heavier and take more looking after. The thing about not working "unless theres a lot of force put into them" really just applies to low-end fork though - decent ones should be very supple over rough terrain. Personally I wouldn't use them on a bike that'll stay in the city.

Maybe it's time you went off road!
    http://www.madmtb.com/2006/09/mtb-beginners-course-week-5-last-one.html

• Advertisement

Cheers morgan ,I'd love to be able to attempt something like that ,but I'm not fit enough . I'm currently 5'8'' and 250 pounds.

The only reason I'm on the bike at the moment is to get myself fit and get back into cycling again. I can stay on a bike all day ,but any aggresive stuff and I'm done for.

Looks like great craic though.

Brian.

The bikes I have
    Z0515B.jpg
    special_sirussport_06_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Yeah, suspension is a waste of time on the road. You see a lot of people with suspension on their bikes, but this is because it 'looks good' and therefore sells more bikes.

Fitting forks is easy enough, especially if you keep the same headset. If the bike shop is charging €35 to fit forks, make sure they face the head-tube and the forks, this makes sure the faces are matched up exactly and leads to a better fit.

M

Thanks for the replies on this ,I will keep it all in mind when I eventually get a set of forks.
    I might even get a cheap set on the net and put them on when I get a chance.

Cheers,
    Brian.

Advertisement