Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringe-Inducing Ad for Waterford Airport

• 28-09-2006 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone hear that ad for the Waterford airport on Beat fm? God it's awful, depicts a family and kids going to Dublin airport and stuck in traffic etc. Basically the wife (typical :rolleyes: ) is giving out to the husband for not using the more convenient airport at Waterford. Really, one of the worst ads I've ever heard...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is it like the old Gallaghers Late Night Pharmacy ad where the man complains of his sore gums and then his wife tells him all about the new late opening chemist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

not as bad as the old Radion adds:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mfitzy wrote:
    A Basically the wife (typical :rolleyes: ) is giving out to the husband for not using the more convenient airport at Waterford.

And so which the husband replies, "I would only you can't fly to New York or to any airport with reasonable connections to the rest of the world from Waterford. You can't even get to Heathrow or Gatwick, so we are forced to go to Dublin!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the happy family could have flown from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bond-007 wrote:
    And so which the husband replies, "I would only you can't fly to New York or to any airport with reasonable connections to the rest of the world from Waterford. You can't even get to Heathrow or Gatwick, so we are forced to go to Dublin!"

Umm... what's so great about Heathrow or Gatwick?

You can get to New York by:
    Waterford - Stanstead - New York
    Waterford - Manchester - New York

How is that worse than:
    Waterford - Dublin (overland) - New York?

You are never going to be able to fly to New York direct from Waterford (well, highly unlikely anyway) so you'll have to take either a long drive(+parking)/train/bus or a second flight. Although the flight ex-Waterford will be more expensive than the drive(+parking)/train/bus, it would be a bit quicker, and you get to take advantage of numerous connections to New York from Standstead/Manchester, whereas in Dublin you only have Aer Lingus and that's it (I assume).

Obviously, Waterford Airport have not explained this to people very well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Nothing will ever beat the "Waterford to London-Luton! Waterford to London-Luton!" ad. Every ****ing morning in the car. Christ.

Tellox wrote:
    Nothing will ever beat the "Waterford to London-Luton! Waterford to London-Luton!" ad. Every ****ing morning in the car. Christ.

Luckily I've never heard it. :)

And, yeah I said Stanstead, I mean Luton. :) Got mixed up with Ryanair. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Until they uprate the runways for jets Waterford will never going to giving Dublin or Cork a fight for business.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Until they uprate the runways for jets Waterford will never going to giving Dublin or Cork a fight for business.

First off, what is wrong with going via Luton or Manchester rather than driving to Dublin?

Secondly, what difference will new runways really make for the long haul business? I can see flights to Lanzarote, etc., during the summer, but there will never be direct flights to New York or whatever.

Waterford's main benefit will be the same no matter what improvements are made (not that improvements aren't warranted): we have connections into 2 significant hubs, and from there we can go almost anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

By extending the runway, they will be able to cater for jets taking off with a full fuel load. As it stands, the runway can only barely cater for small planes(in terms of most commerical planes) which isn't very inviting to any of the main airlines.

A longer runway is essential for the survival of the airport because as it stands, it's the private jets that are earning money for the airport and as time goes on, not as many people will be owning their own plane.

• Advertisement

By extending the runway, they will be able to cater for jets taking off with a full fuel load. As it stands, the runway can only barely cater for small planes(in terms of most commerical planes) which isn't very inviting to any of the main airlines.

A longer runway is essential for the survival of the airport because as it stands, it's the private jets that are earning money for the airport and as time goes on, not as many people will be owning their own plane.

Fair enough, but from the consumers perspective, the links to two major hubs are there. Maybe the plane you are getting on is small, but it doesn't have to be huge to get you to Manchester or Luton.

We are blessed at having an international hub like London nearby really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Be handy if there was a bit more than a bothrín going out there.
    That's a matter for another day though, I've yet to hear the ad anyway. But if it's like any of the locally produced ****e that gets hawked on WLR I can only live in fear until I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

we have the same problem re. the rength of runway in Galway as well.
    pretty decent list of destinations now though, (16):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

The worst ad I can think of at the moment HAS TO BE that one with 'Daft Dave' from Right Price Tiles.....jaysus I'd nearly go in there & ask for this so called character (or the twat who's voice is used in the ad) & rip his friggin' head off!

Really.....just the thought of the sound of his extremely annoying voice has me cringing as we speak!

Note: This thread is turning into a Waterford Airport topic all in it's own right. I flew from Waterford to Manchester back in April & have to say it was excellent. No hassles whatsoever. Got a coach from Manchester to Liverpool & was out on the beer by 1pm! Merlante's suggestion about NY is a pretty good on IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Other Beat FM ads are pretty awful too;
    -the Tom Doyle supplies one with a very lame attempt at Del from Only Fools and Horses, God no..
    - One for some nightclub in Waterford- the guy on his fone to a friend telling him there's 3 to every man in the night club... shudder
    -All the stupid ads for 'exclusive' engaement rings, there's a few of these ones

I don't know who their ad agency is, perhaps some Transition Year business:D ; certainly sounds like it
    I suppose this is what I get for listening to Beat so much!

Advertisement