Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knock knock...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

oOOooohhh, suits you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Knock Knock...

"Who's there??"

"Control freak... NOW YOU SAY CONTROL FREAK WHO!!!!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Knock knock...
    Dr Who is at the door...
    o.O

Funky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

Etymology: The verb MUM derives directly from Middle English ‘mommen’ which is perhaps associated with Middle low German ‘mummen,’ to mutter, disguise oneself, or with Middle French ‘momer’ to go masked. And although some sources think that the ‘mum’ of disguise and the ‘mum’ of muttering (which is thought to be ultimately imitative) may have two distinct etymologies, others feel that perhaps there is a connection between the two and that in going masked the voices of the performers were muffled and distorted. Some interesting connections are that Dutch ‘mommen’ means to speak indistinctly, to chew, and German ‘mummen’ means to mumble. Middle Dutch ‘mommen,’ ‘mummen’ mean to go about in a mask or disguise (Dutch ‘mommen). Middle Low German, ‘mummen,’ ‘mommen’ mean to wear a disguise, to go about in a carnival mask and German ‘mummen,’ to disguise oneself (16th century). Similar connections exist in French and Italian.

Some words beginning with ‘mum-’ associated with the custom of MUMMING are MUMMER, a person who acts in a mummers' play or (originally) in a ‘mime,’ and MUMMERY, a performance by ‘mummers,’ are attested to earliest in Old French and appear to have spread in this sense from there to other European languages, both Romance and Germanic, probably together with the custom itself.

http://www.wordwizard.com/ch_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2663

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

-ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

boneless wrote:
    Knock Knock...

"Who's there??"

"Control freak... NOW YOU SAY CONTROL FREAK WHO!!!!!!!!!!"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Matt Holck wrote:
    Etymology: The verb MUM derives directly from Middle English ‘mommen’ which is perhaps associated with Middle low German ‘mummen,’ to mutter, disguise oneself, or with Middle French ‘momer’ to go masked. And although some sources think that the ‘mum’ of disguise and the ‘mum’ of muttering (which is thought to be ultimately imitative) may have two distinct etymologies, others feel that perhaps there is a connection between the two and that in going masked the voices of the performers were muffled and distorted. Some interesting connections are that Dutch ‘mommen’ means to speak indistinctly, to chew, and German ‘mummen’ means to mumble. Middle Dutch ‘mommen,’ ‘mummen’ mean to go about in a mask or disguise (Dutch ‘mommen). Middle Low German, ‘mummen,’ ‘mommen’ mean to wear a disguise, to go about in a carnival mask and German ‘mummen,’ to disguise oneself (16th century). Similar connections exist in French and Italian.

Some words beginning with ‘mum-’ associated with the custom of MUMMING are MUMMER, a person who acts in a mummers' play or (originally) in a ‘mime,’ and MUMMERY, a performance by ‘mummers,’ are attested to earliest in Old French and appear to have spread in this sense from there to other European languages, both Romance and Germanic, probably together with the custom itself.

http://www.wordwizard.com/ch_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2663

BANG, BANG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Dude, get the door already!

Lust4Life wrote:

as soon as you unlock the handcuffs.

• Advertisement

Sonnenblumen said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lust4Life

as soon as you unlock the handcuffs.

But the key is out in the post box!

Lust4Life wrote:
    But the key is out in the post box!

Why do I get the feeling, few people pass through here and even fewer get out?

knock, knock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

whos there
    lust4life
    shes always fcuking here

Yeah, so I'm bored!
    Come on in! Tea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

did i hear tea,i`ll bring the scones

• Advertisement

ooh! Yummy! Please do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

I could bring the pastry good that i keep going on about. I would say what it is, but a mod banned me from saying it :mad:

the mod banned you from saying......pie?
    You must be joking! Our darling Amp would never do such a thing!

Oh, wait! There's someone at the door....

I used to be a postman so I ring twice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

So anyway, a horse walks into a pub and says.....

• Advertisement

boneless wrote:
    I used to be a postman so I ring twice...

The Knock Knock Thread is not to be used to advertise the existance of products such as doorbells. So sod off and make you're own thread, bell-boy!

But.... what if he's selling fun TOYS?????

So long as they're not toys related to alerting the occupants of a house that there is someone at their door, he's fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

like "last card", but in dominoes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ding Dong !

Capt'n Midnight, did you not read my previous post on the use of door bells?! I think punishment is in order...punishment that is swift and battery operated!

Capt'n Midnight, did you not read my previous post on the use of door bells?! I think punishment is in order...punishment that is swift and battery operated!

"I want you to play with my Ding-a-Ling..."

Ding, ding....

Punish me!!! OH YEAH!!!!

• Advertisement

Teh cattle prods are at hand! Open wide... :D

MMmmmmmhaww!!!

That's soooo gooood... zap me again!!!

You're one sick b*stard, boneless :rolleyes: I'm off home...

I am a sick puppy, am I not?? :p

But you DO love me... dontcha??? Please say yes....

Advertisement