Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohs deducted 3 points

• 28-09-2006 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

BFC DID get a suspension notification which was effective from 09 August (the week of the Bray Wanderers game) which included Jason McGuinness

BFC DID get a suspension notification which was effective from 16 August (the week of the Shelbourne game) which DID NOT include Jason McGuinness

BFC DID NOT at any stage get any notification that Jason McGuinness was suspended for the Shelbourne game on 18 August.

In the week AFTER the Shelbourne game of 18 August BFC got an incorrect notification advising that Jason McGuinness was suspended for the next game in the League Cup (which will be some time in 2007)

Due to staff holidays some paperwork was misfiled and the club was unsure of who, if anybody, was suspended for the period begining 16 August. Both the Honorary Secretary and the Administration Manager phoned the eircom League offices and both were informed by the same official that Bohemian FC had no suspensions for the game on 18 August.

Bohemian FC believes that an employee of Shelbourne FC was informed by the eircom League on Thursday that Jason Mc Guinness WAS suspended for the game on 18 August.

Why nobody from the eircom League chose to inform Bohemian FC of the possible contradictory information being given out is a matter for the eircom League.

Why Shelbourne officials seemed to have the information prior to the game and chose not to inform anybody from Bohemian FC until after the game had kicked off is a matter for Shelbourne FC.

Bohemian FC regrets the error but believed the club had satisfied itself (by contacting the eircom League office twice), as required by Rule 21.4, that no players were under suspension in the week in question. Bohemian FC will not appeal the decision to deduct 3 points.

Points in bold funny, 2nd one mainly....oh look at paperwork blunder by an employee, see it can happen to anyone even the biggest club the multiverse :D
    Fair play for not appealing it.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Stuipidity on the Parts of Bohs and the EL and expected gamesmansip on the part of Shells. How the El officials dont know who is or isnt supended for their own league or failed to notify bohs properly when they found out would be surprising in any other league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Our seasons over, it really doesnt matter, main thing is Shels didnt get the points. Looks like a token statement pretending to be pissed about it but accepting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rofl, that Shels comment in the OP is priceless.

"They knew but they never told us"

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Stuipidity on the Parts of Bohs and the EL
    And with only one of the parties punished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Rofl, that Shels comment in the OP is priceless.

"They knew but they never told us"

Pathetic.

Odd how you only see that, why were Shels told and not bohs?

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Actually a floppy haired Man Utd fan from Waterford told us twice that he was definitely Ok to play.

KdjaCL wrote:

Unless someone can prove otherwise (best of luck), this is between Bohs and the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac
    Hang on a minute.

Shels weren't told, surely it is good management to know who will be able to play or be suspended for the opposition in upcoming games against them.

Every club is sent an email by the league when suspensions are announced. I know this because I get it due to my work on the Shelbourne website. At that game I remember sitting and looking at the teamsheet and commenting to one of my ShelsWeb colleagues that I thought McGuinness was suspended, as I had seen it in an email.

I don't know why a professional club like Bohemians are at this type of sht stirring tbh, Shels weren't the only club that were party to this information, and were not to know, or in a position to know that Bohemians were aware of the suspension list or not.

I wonder is there some bitterness on Bohemians part over the fact that the best young manager in the league decided to stay with the best team in the league.

As the great man once said - "Small clubs have small minds".

Some comments from O.Byrne
    "It is quite clear that for Bohemians to represent that there's no mistake is disingenuous," said Byrne.

"Ignorance of the laws is no excuse and it's imperative that all administrators know the law and rules of the game. We are disappointed at the viewpoint of the Protest Committee.

"The association and the league cannot have it both ways, particularly as earlier this season they took points off clubs that won them off the field after the folding of Dublin City.

"What they're saying now is that I can field illegal players for any game I want and the only punishment will be to lose three points, regardless of whether we win the game or not.

"I will leave no stone unturned in appealing this. I will go to UEFA, FIFA, or take legal actions, whatever means are necessary, to ensure that we get justice.

"Contrary to what Stephen Kenny said, I think people are doing what they can to ensure that Derry City win the league."

Oh my god Ollie, just leave it.

That statement tells me that Shels are gone if they dont win the league and get a good draw in the champions league, all pretty strange considering that he'll be gone from Shels fairly soon from what Ive heard.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous stuff from Ollie, well used to it though.
    SHELBOURNE chief executive Ollie Byrne is planning to take his case to UEFA, FIFA or the courts over at the imminent decision to deduct Bohemians three points for fielding the suspended Jason McGuinness in their 2-1 win over Shels last month. Byrne is adamant the three points should instead be awarded to Shelbourne.

He cites the case three years ago where Ireland were punished for inadvertently fielding the suspended Liam Miller in a European U21 qualifier against Albania.

On that occasion, UEFA ruled that Albania should be awarded the three points from a game they lost, and Byrne believes the same should have applied to Shelbourne.

However, he offered that the league game with Bohs should be replayed, with the gate receipts going to charity, as the basis of his protest that was considered by a committee set up by the eircom League's Board of Control.

They decreed that Bohemians should be deducted three points, which became public knowledge when the Gypsies surprisingly issued a press release yesterday to contest the findings of the Protest Committee.

It is now expected that when the Board of Control meet on Tuesday, they will act on the recommendation to hand Bohs a three-point penalty, which the Dalymount Park club say they will not appeal.

Shelbourne will gain no compensation for losing a league game against a side which included someone who shouldn't have been playing.

Nevertheless, Bohemians protest their innocence in another unfortunate administrational dispute, claiming they weren't notified that McGuinness was suspended for the game.

Technicality

Earlier this year, Derry escaped a three-point punishment on a similar technicality.

Additionally, Bohs allege that a Shelbourne employee was informed before the game that McGuinness was suspended but chose to keep quiet when his name appeared on the team sheet.

Shelbourne chief executive Byrne reacted to the Bohemians' statement with scorn, and insisted they should have known that McGuinness would be suspended.

The central defender had missed the previous league game with Bray due to a routine suspension after picking up four yellow cards.

Yet he was also sent off in a League Cup game prior to that, which meant that the automatic suspension incurred from that indiscretion carried over into the Shelbourne game.

Bohs argue they were notified that the suspension would carry into next year's League Cup, but Byrne has no sympathy for his club's rivals. "It is quite clear that for Bohemians to represent that there's no mistake is disingenuous," said Byrne.

"Ignorance of the laws is no excuse and it's imperative that all administrators know the law and rules of the game. We are disappointed at the viewpoint of the Protest Committee.

"The association and the league cannot have it both ways, particularly as earlier this season they took points off clubs that won them off the field after the folding of Dublin City.

"What they're saying now is that I can field illegal players for any game I want and the only punishment will be to lose three points, regardless of whether we win the game or not.

"I will leave no stone unturned in appealing this. I will go to UEFA, FIFA, or take legal actions, whatever means are necessary, to ensure that we get justice.

"Contrary to what Stephen Kenny said, I think people are doing what they can to ensure that Derry City win the league."

The eircom League have refused to comment on the matter until Tuesday's Board of Control meeting takes place.

Yet it is believed that they contest some of the allegations made about their handling of the affair in Bohemians' statement.

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/football/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1697845

Interesting re: Albania, but can you imagine the atmosphere at any replayed game... :eek: !

Its mad, he comes out with this precedent and then says that he wants an unprecedented replay. Id be happy enough with a replay as long as McGuinness wasnt allowed to play and obviously the gate wouldnt go to charity.
    Why when he went with the rule book did he not insist Pats replay the Marney games or get the points given to the opposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It's fair as is. After much inner turmoil (;) :D), I've decided I don't want the points. We were poor on the night, and would have lost whether bohs played McGuinness or not. This legal nonsense will end up costing us money we can't afford.

As for Shels being told etc etc. It was common knowledge. The bloody Shels crowd knew he was suspended, and i'm sure the Bohs crowd did too.

Absolutely, everyone seems happy with the decision, Bohs have said they wont appeal but Ive a feeling they saw Ollies rant coming so didnt want to admit 100% guilt.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    After much inner turmoil (;) :D),
    What the hell is the story with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Once Derry win the league by 2 points I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Unless someone can prove otherwise (best of luck), this is between Bohs and the league.

.............. well is it really considering the quotes of Ollie?

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    .............. well is it really considering the quotes of Ollie?

kdjac

Haha, I said that before hearing about Ollie. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ah well. Fair play to Oily for showing himself up again. Will the man ever learn?

I'm glad we kept quiet and took the hit. Esp this season there was nothing to be gained by appealing and co-operating this time might stand in our favour sometime in the future. Still unhappy it was allowed to happen in the first place tho. :(

Advertisement