Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured pigeon found, what can we do?

• 28-09-2006 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hey,

An injured pigeon was brought back to our house last night as he was walking around on a busy road and was unable to fly. No vets were available so he stayed overnight (under my bed). Now, he seems quite healthy, and can flap his wings but not take off. He's quite calm and his sitting in a baskey we have, remaining still.

We called a number of vets today and they all said they would put him down if we brought him in. I understand that can be humane, but we'd prefer to try and do something for him; one idea being to take him to a local park and leave him near the pond.

I'm not sure what kind of pigeon he is, but he has a light orange chest and is quite tame (he was sitting on my lap for 15 mins without a problem).

Is there anything we can do? Are there any organisations or people who would take care of him and try and get him fit and healthy again?

All info and help is appreciated,

Regards,
    JB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

JB,

I'd just let him go where there are other pigeons and hope for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

As above....

Is the bird just worn out? Bad weather can do that.

Any sign of rings on the legs? If it is used to humans it may be a homer or racer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I agree, best to let nature take its course.

The tameness suggests it is a domestic / racing pigeon.

If you wanted to check if it is a wild species, then browse the rspb guide for images of the following which are typical in Ireland:
    Woodpigeon
    Stock Dove
    Collared Dove
    Rock Dove / Feral Pigeon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement