Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floating T&G floor - creaking

Options
  • 28-09-2006 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Just moved into a new house and am already very irritated by the amount of creaking that the wooden floor is doing. Every second step produces a creak loud enough to make it difficult to hear conversation.

The house was only completed about 18 months ago. I haven't lifted any floorboards yet, but the floor seems to be T&G oak (oak effect?) boards laid on concrete. No fixings are apparent on the visible side so I am assuming the boards are either floating or fixed in place with adhesive.

Anyone had experience of this before? Normal advice would be screw/nail the boards tighter to the joists underneath, but thats not an option with a concrete sub-floor right? Even tried putting talcum powder between the joins last night to no avail.

Anyone experienced this before?

Actually, the person who sold it to me tells me that the house is still under guarantee from the builder/developer and gave me their contact details. Can I get them to sort out my problems or do they only guarantee the structure itself?

Advertisement