Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MCP, MCDST, MCSE Website links needed

• 28-09-2006 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Looks like some of ye are quite techy in here, so I'm lookin for a bit of help. I'm trying to get MCDST certified by end of October. Eventually I want to get an MCSE.

Do any of ye have any good websites for studying/tips/forums etc.

Thanks a mil,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Get the MS press books read/reread

2 exams in the next month will be tough going (I would think) although both exams have overlapping content.

Also use the MS site for anything you are unsure of, I dont have an particular sites for tips etc GL with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Are the MS Press books good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Do you have any other IT certs, like A+ and Network+ for example? If so you should go for the MCSA instead of the MCDST.

To get an MCSE you need a total of 8 exams and the MCDST is not part of them, so if you go for the MDCST you will be doing 10 exams in total if you want to reach your goal. That's a hell of a lot of work!

For the MCSA you need 4 exams (3 core and 1 elective; A+ & Network+ count as an elective). After you have this you then need 4 (3 core and one elective) exams to get the MCSE.

The best way to start is to do the Windows XP exam (number 70-270). These books are a good start: click here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I agree with the last poster,
    You'd be better aiming for the MSCA, while collecting the A+ and Net+ along the way. I have found that it is more recognised than the MSDST.
    It also leads you fairly well into the MCSE.
    Thats the path I am on at the moment, have the MCSA and working on the next few exams for the MCSE. I am on the 2000 track as you will find a lot more cheap second hand books out there for this track. You can do two upgrade exams later on to bring you up to MSCA-MCSE 2003 standard.
    The certs are handy, I've self studied for most of them, and set up my own equipment for messing around on, but they are a largly easier if you actually work with the technolgies you are studying. Between on the job experience and the certs filling in the blanks you'll be fairly well set for interviews.
    That said, if you only wanted the "Paper certs" there are a lot of braindumps that you can cram from out there, but you'll generally be found out in the more technical interviews if you go this route.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would do the Security + instead of the A+ if you can (didnt check so not sure)

Security + is a very nice little exam, not tough, and while alot of the information is out of date some of the backround information is worth knowing and is also repeated thoughout the MSCE track.

It also has the bonus of showing that you know a little about security (in this very security minded time) so it can look good on your Cv.

As was mentioned not many will know of the MCDST the MCSA is more recognised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Thanks for the tips guys, I did originally plan to do the 70-270 exam first, but I will be made redundant soon and want to get a qualification on the CV pretty quickly, 271 and 272 seem fairly easy and a lot of the content is overlapped in 270 which I plan to take once I have 271/2 completed. I figure that studying for MCDST will help prepare me for 270. Then I will go for the MCSA.

What I am really looking for are discussion boards to help me with any questions I have. Do you have any good links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

So does anyone have any usefull links to MCP/MCSA related websites then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Check you PM inbox Diver.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

you should also look at www.testking.com for examples.. very handy. Also they supply sample exams which are very good. Maybe a little too good to be honest..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

hi if your still looking to do the mcsa or mcse have a look at the video demos on www.testout.com the mcsa and mcse package is over $2000 i have the complete package if your intersted let me know! i can give it to you really cheap, i also have the complete book box set i got in easons that was e199 i dont use them so let me know

• Advertisement
Advertisement