Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer jobs

Options
  • 28-09-2006 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey
    i know I'm a little early but am thinking of going away to work this summer, just sick of being in dublin. Wanna keep the Oz thing til after college so am thinking maybe do some barwork abroad, just wanna have a laugh, meet people, get a tan. Just wondering if anyon has done this or could recommend anywhere worth going. Was in Greece this summer but seems pretty expensive place to live compared with spain. Has anyone done this or can anyone think of anywhere that might be good???Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My cousin went to Hawaii this year on a J1 and she said it was amazing, you should check it out. I worked in New York last year, but it was more "work" related to my college course as opposed to a sun and sandals kind of job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Vancouver. Spent 4 months there in the summer of 2004. Absolute blast, and great places to travel to at the end, like road trip down the west coat of the States, travelling east to the Rockies, and heading over to Vancouver Island for surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i went to toronto last year, was a great summer. bit home sick but u eventually get over that. defo go west!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I was in Portugal, in a place called Lagos-its great craic and their are loads of students there from all over the world, especially Australia and New Zealand. Accomodation was reasonably cheap and the greatest thing about the perks of the job-free alcohol. Most work on a commission basis handing out leaflets which is a great way to meet people but you can also get bar work there. Better if you have experience. Flights are only about €200 return and accomodation is about €50-€80 a week depending on how fancy you want and if you're willing to share a room

Must say now I didn't actually work there but a friend stayed back and did so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I'm off to Australia for the 2nd semester to study at Macquarie, should be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Can we do that??? Like an erasmus thing is it? Thought it was only America, I would love to go Australia!!! Where about ya go???

elle wrote:
    Can we do that??? Like an erasmus thing is it? Thought it was only America, I would love to go Australia!!! Where about ya go???

Depends on what course you're doing, I'm in Commerce and I think Arts has something too. Its Erasmus if you're travelling in Europe because we're just like one big state now and you can get the grant and stuff. If you're going elsewhere you won't get the grant. Macquarie Uni is in Sydney.

I'm not certain if you actually can study in America, I know we only get offered Canadian colleges..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

Umaro wrote:
    "Macquarie Uni is in Sydney."

Make sure you find out from a local before deciding where to live. If you get a place in the CBD, Ultimo etc. your travel time to Uni will be 1hr+ from Circular Quay. This should help: http://www.131500.info/realtime/default.asp

I would describe UTS, Usyd, UNSW as "in Sydney" and Macquarie and Western Sydney as in the medium-far suburbs. Depending on the time of year you go and if you can afford to rent a place with air-con, you do not want to live in the medium-far suburbs.

Aaron.

I'm pretty sure we get on-campus townhouses, but thanks.

Advertisement