Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pish Posh [GAME]!

Options
  • 28-09-2006 6:04pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, time for a game.

I want people to come up with some new words, based on whatever linguistic/etymological knowledge you have. It should be etymologically derivable and make linguistic "sense", but it cannot already be a word*.

You have to give (a) the word you propose, (b) the definition and (c) where you got it from (its "origins").

The winner will be selected by a lollograph (an instrument for tracing laughter that is out loud. From 1337 sp34k "lol" meaning to (have) laugh(ed) out loud + graph from Gk. graphikos "of or for writing, belonging to drawing, picturesque," from graphe "writing, drawing," from graphein "write," originally "to scratch" on clay tablets with a stylus. Meaning "of or pertaining to drawing" is from 1756; that of "vivid" is from 1669, on the notion of words that produce the effect of a picture) which will be measured by public poll in which only non-participants can vote.

Participants who vote (including against themselves) are immediately disqualified.

You are free to submit as many entries as you like, and they will each be treated as such.

You have entered the competition once you post an entry in this thread.

Best of luck to all of you.

P.S. There will be a prize worth at least €5.

*This includes slang that is well-known. The idea is to be as original as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Slodgemuffined

def: to be rat arsed drunk till you cant stand however maintaining a degree of liquidity .

Came up with it when I was slodgemuffined in TempleBar and couldnt remember the word for drunk .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Tortilimaximus

Def:
    Similar to slodgemuffined but with an ability to walk in a haphazard manor

Origin:
    tortilis (latin) = twisted.
    maximus (latin -esk) = large, a great amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

neologosyntholude

n. "A game where one makes up new words"

Etymology: An unholy portmanteau of greek neo + logos + synthein and latin ludo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have three words that I use that do not exist.

Lobbins - When playing soccer with my brothers and the keeper was hilariously lobbed, 'lobbins' was shouted at teh height of everyones voices.
    Basically we were getting the lobbins of him.

Termage - This term is used by me when somebody makes up a word(On purpose or by accident.), it is clear what it means ,but also that it has been made up.
    Crap example time. Rocktacular, travellator, etc.
    I would comment on tehir excellent termage.

Pronoid - Unlike paranoid, this is where you think that nobody is out to get you, but in fact, everybody is.

This word came to me in a dream several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'll have to come back to this thread when I'm drunk, I make up loads of words then, but words that make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I had a similar thread on the English board. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=208607
    Piste wrote:
    I'll have to come back to this thread when I'm drunk, I make up loads of words then, but words that make sense.
    Then come back in about 3 years. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Milkaronicatonic
    -An (equally tasty) adult equivalent to Calpol.
    Thought of it years ago outside the school canteen, I was probably thinking about milk at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

slinge - to sneak away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

aldarionation: the feeling you get when you discover the one good word you ever made up has already been made up by an androgynous mythical creature.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm afraid Tar.Aldarion already coined the term "sarchasm" back in March!

You'll only be able to see this if you have access to Spell Czechs: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054899756

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah, the last two posts made me laugh.
    I wonder what his definition of sarchasm was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Aw, I should have quoted :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it was

sarchasm: the difference between what I say, and the listener understands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Gunthering- orig not known

To leave ones place of work on a non approved task.

Where's Kelly?..Ah he is just gone over to Capel St to do a bit of gunthering.

Anyone ever hear of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Faith wrote:
    I'm afraid Tar.Aldarion already coined the term "sarchasm" back in March!

You'll only be able to see this if you have access to Spell Czechs: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054899756

It's old http://www.unwords.com/unword/sarchasm.html

Pff, I've used it before then.
    Not just the abyss between finding it humorous, but also in understanding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Insectoleptic fit,

an involuntary seizure caused by a person thinking an insect has landed on them.

Advertisement