Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a personal webserver to bypass...

Options
  • 28-09-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there a way that I can get my webserver to download a page and republish it to my own website when I request it to do so from another web browser..Is there a program that can do this or anything?? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

This is just proxying, and IIRC Apache can do it, if you're using Apache.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok, Im just getting my hands on an old 700mhz 128 mb ram pc to use as a server..Will this do? I would like to run windows 98 on it and then the server on that.. Then set up a domain with the proxy function on it. I have no experience with servers and the like but I dont think it can be that hard, is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For downloading have a look at http://www.httrack.com

Remember ALL content on the internet is copyright, unless otherwise stated, places like wikipedia and sourceforge allow you to copy but their material is still copyrighted.

Win98 acting as an internet server, bad idea. It's ok for surfing if you are behind a firewall. A bit more ram and you could use ubuntu or similar on it.

How do you mean about surfing behind a firewall? just for using it as a proxy? I don't intend on using it as a serious server.. Just for personal use to get me onto restriced sites when i'm out and about. Just a cheap project computer really..

Ok I'v decided i'm gonna use Unbuntu linux on my server then use maybe apache on that as the server..How do I put a box on my webpage so that I can type in URLs so that that they can be viewed under my domain name??
    Also is there any in depth guides on how to setup a server for proxy purposes..

Thanks,

Hakko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

it depends on how restricted the places you are as to what you should really do on the server, using ff and a dynamic socks proxy to bounce connections about is a simple mechanism but you need to be able to ssh out of wherever you are viewing the web.

other than that the next thing on the list is just running squid on port 80, if you google for squid i'm sure you'll find guides for setting it up under ubuntu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

Also is there any in depth guides on how to setup a server for proxy purposes..

You wanna set up a private web proxy;) ???

Yes H3LLg0D I intend on setting up my own web proxy..just for the craic really.

Nietzschean, I think I will be using squid. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Hey Hakko, why not stick up a quick guide on how to do this when you're finished if you have time. Sounds like something a few people with old PC's lying around might like to try, me included :D

Sure thing.. but it might be a while seeing as I havent even set up the server yet.. But I will post a guide when its all done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement