Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke detectors - How many?

Options
  • 28-09-2006 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just snagging a log cabin at the moment, single story, open plan living/kitchen/diner to the front, hall at the back of this through the middle of the remainder with 3 bedrooms & bathroom at back.

Just 1 smoke detector was fitted to the ceiling in the hall. I asked whether it needed 2 but was told only one is required on each level of a building.

Is this correct? I'm being a bit nervous with it being a log cabin and thinking the more smoke detectors, the better without dotting them all over the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

I am no expert when it comes to these matters but I have attached a clip from the TGD's (Part B) - Fire

An LD3 system incorporates suitably located and
    interconnected detectors in the circulation areas
    (normally hall-ways, corridors and staircases) that
    form the escape route. In stairways, alarms are
    provided at all storey levels. Typically, a two storey
    dwelling house would have alarms in the hall-way and
    above the first floor landing. In a typically singlestorey
    dwelling house a single alarm may be
    adequate. However, if there are long hall-ways or
    corridors, additional alarms will be necessary.
    Dwelling houses with up to three storeys above
    ground level should have at least an LD3 system.
    Dwelling houses with more than three storeys, large
    houses, or where the fire risk so warrants, should be
    provided with LD2 or LD1 systems as appropriate,
    which will provide a higher level of life safety.
    Guidance on system types for different situations is
    contained in BS 5839: Part 6: 1995.

1.5.5.3 Installation of smoke alarms - Two
    types of self-contained smoke alarm, an optical type
    and an ionisation type, which have differing smoke
    response characteristics, are available. A mixture of
    both types is recommended and in the case of a
    typical two storey dwelling house, an optical type on
    the ground floor storey and an ionisation type on the
    upper floor may be the most appropriate.
    The number and location of smoke alarms will be
    determined by the system type (see 1.5.5.2). In
    circulation areas, no door to a habitable room
    should be further than 7.5 m from the nearest
    smoke alarm. The location of smoke alarms,
    particularly in relation to doorways to bedrooms and
    the spacing of units, should be such as to ensure that
    the audibility requirements specified in BS 5839: Part
    6: 1995 will be achieved.

Based on the above (and a bit of common sense ;) ) I would have allowed for more, there is absolutely no redundancy in the system provided.

Personally, if it was my house, I would look for detectors in the rooms also. A little overkill probably, but for the sake of a few €€€€€'s.....money well spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

All new electrical installations as of July this year require:
    1 smoke(ionisation) or heat (optical) detector in the kitchen (the later works best)
    1 in the hall
    1 in the hotpress
    and 1 on each landing within the house
    All to be interlinked and mains operated.

Ofcourse if you like, a standalone zoned fire alarm system can be installed with BGUs, bells and sounders, but thats overkill for a residental house.

You can even go for emergency lighting if required. :)
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'm just snagging a log cabin at the moment, single story, open plan living/kitchen/diner to the front, hall at the back of this through the middle of the remainder with 3 bedrooms & bathroom at back.

Just 1 smoke detector was fitted to the ceiling in the hall. I asked whether it needed 2 but was told only one is required on each level of a building.

Is this correct? I'm being a bit nervous with it being a log cabin and thinking the more smoke detectors, the better without dotting them all over the place.

I recommend for you.

1 smokie in hall
    1 heat in kitchen favoured towards the cooking area
    1 smoke in living diner area and 1 smoke in hallway near bedrooms, all to be interlinked and mains operated on a seperate MCB in your mains board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sparky-s wrote:
    All new electrical installations as of July this year require:
    1 smoke(ionisation) or heat (optical) detector in the kitchen (the later works best)
    1 in the hall
    1 in the hotpress
    and 1 on each landing within the house
    All to be interlinked and mains operated.

Ofcourse if you like, a standalone zoned fire alarm system can be installed with BGUs, bells and sounders, but thats overkill for a residental house.

You can even go for emergency lighting if required. :)

I recommend for you.

1 smokie in hall
    1 heat in kitchen favoured towards the cooking area
    1 smoke in living diner area and 1 smoke in hallway near bedrooms, all to be interlinked and mains operated on a seperate MCB in your mains board.
    The electrical installation was probably done before July but I need to get hold of the electrical certs before I know what date it was certified. I'll see what the snagger has to say on Monday and what he also recommends.

The smoke detector in the hall is outside all 3 bedrooms, but I'm just a bit concerned with the open plan kitchen/diner/living area that there is no cover at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you need to have an alarm in every room that you can fall asleep in!!!!

so all bedrooms, and rooms with comfy seats, that way if something in the room starts smoldering, you get woken up, instead of forced into a deeper sleep.

a smoke alarm at the top of the stairs is no use if your asleep in bed and your "bedside alarm clock/TV/electric shower in ensuite" is filling your room with smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The minimum spec is as I posted. There is no harm installing detectors in every room. Most if not all mains detectors are very loud and especially when interlinked.

If you are in doubt, you can ask advise from a fire chief and from fire alarm installers such as Apex and Vector fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

It will be interesting to see what the fire certs provided mention regarding it.

Advertisement