Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which one is the best ? without contention ratio or "generous" allowance

Options
  • 28-09-2006 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hello

I came from France few days ago and i'm looking for a good BB connection.

I won't talk about the french situation ( we got the best quality/price ratio :( )

But i need some advices.

I'm looking for a BB connection in Dublin 11 without those crazy " generous allowance" and contention ratio :eek:.

There are Smart telecom and Magnet which are providing nice connections but i moved in a house where there's already an eircom line and i have to keep it. So i can't suscribe to any of those providers.

Do you know any other provider which provides such connection ?

ps: i must apologize for my english :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

All Irish telephone lines are eicom lines - even if you switch to smart, Smart will only be renting the line from eircom.

If you want DSL and you won't go with Smart or Magnet, then you can chose to get the eircom bitstream service from any of the resellers - eircom, BTIreand, UTV, Digiweb, etc. Top speed 3Mbps, if your line is in excellent condition. If you don't want to be imited by a "generous allowance", then you'll need to look at a "business"package, from eircom, BTIreland or Netsource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

Thx

Well i' ve checked the offers on broadband.gov.ie

All the "alternative" providers keep a huge contention ratio.
    If i pay 40 € for 1MB i want 1 Mb not 22k :(

I don't know if you can notice the contention ratio and all the contracts are 1 year long so you need to choose the right one.

It seems that Smart telecom is the best solution but you can't keep your eircom lines ( i mean number plus bill ). It's clearly printed on the "suscribe page" .

I was thinking about Breeze from irishbroadband but there's still a big ratio 48:1 or 24:1

Do you notice the contention ratio ?

tonton-bob wrote:
    Thx

Well i' ve checked the offers on broadband.gov.ie

All the "alternative" providers keep a huge contention ratio.
    If i pay 40 € for 1MB i want 1 Mb not 22k :(

I don't know if you can notice the contention ratio and all the contracts are 1 year long so you need to choose the right one.
    If broadband.gov.ie says that the resellers require 12 month contracts, then there's a mistake. The BT webpage says "Six month minimum term" quite clearly. header_bb_t.gif

The UTV Terms and Conditions say ""Minimum Period" means a period of six months commencing from the Start Date".

While you will notice a slow down at busy times, contention on these DSL services is not a major problem for most users.
    It seems that Smart telecom is the best solution but you can't keep your eircom lines ( i mean number plus bill ). It's clearly printed on the "suscribe page" .
    Eircom has been forced to allow users to transfer their number to other providers, but they're still dragging their heels on the issue. Smart appears to have decided that it's easier to get their customers to give up their numbers than it is to fight eircom on this issue, so their letting other providers be the "guinea pigs", but if you insist, they'll probably try to get your number transferred to them.
    I was thinking about Breeze from irishbroadband but there's still a big ratio 48:1 or 24:1

Contention on IBBs products is very much a question of your location - if you're on a mast with lots of other users, you'll experience a lot of contention.

It appears that BT have a 12 month minimum for their flat rate call bundles, so if you get Broadband bundled with the call package (BB & Total Talk), there's a 12 month term. If you just get BB, or BB and line rental, then it's a 6 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

tonton-bob wrote:
    Hello

I came from France few days ago and i'm looking for a good BB connection.

I won't talk about the french situation ( we got the best quality/price ratio :( )

But i need some advices.

I'm looking for a BB connection in Dublin 11 without those crazy " generous allowance" and contention ratio :eek:.

There are Smart telecom and Magnet which are providing nice connections but i moved in a house where there's already an eircom line and i have to keep it. So i can't suscribe to any of those providers.

Do you know any other provider which provides such connection ?

ps: i must apologize for my english :(
    Désolé, mais le dégroupage (par ex Smart) n’existera en Irlande dans le moyen terme. Ni le gouvernement, ou « EirComReg » aime le dégroupage. Vous avez un seul choix en réalité. Il sera eircom (c = 24:1 ou plus !) [direct ou via les vendeurs en grosse d’eircom (BT et cie)]. Malheureusement le mot « concurrence » est inconnu dans le dictionnaire irlandais de télécommunication !

.probe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

probe wrote:
    Désolé, mais le dégroupage (par ex Smart) n’existera en Irlande dans le moyen terme. Ni le gouvernement, ou « EirComReg » aime le dégroupage. Vous avez un seul choix en réalité. Il sera eircom (c = 24:1 ou plus !) [direct ou via les vendeurs en grosse d’eircom (BT et cie)]. Malheureusement le mot « concurrence » est inconnu dans le dictionnaire irlandais de télécommunication !

.probe
    For the rest of us who don't parle France:

Afflicted, but the deblocking (by ex Smart) will not exist in Ireland in medium term. Nor the government, or "EirComReg" likes the deblocking. You actually have only one choice. It will be eircom (C = 24:1 or more!) [ direct or via the salesmen in gross of eircom (BT and Co) ]. Unfortunately the word "competition" is unknown in the Irish dictionary of telecommunication!

watty wrote:
    For the rest of us who don't parle France:

Afflicted, but the deblocking (by ex Smart) will not exist in Ireland in medium term. Nor the government, or "EirComReg" likes the deblocking. You actually have only one choice. It will be eircom (C = 24:1 or more!) [ direct or via the salesmen in gross of eircom (BT and Co) ]. Unfortunately the word "competition" is unknown in the Irish dictionary of telecommunication!
    Re-interpretation of your machine translation !:

Sorry, but unbundling (eg by Smart) will not exist in Ireland in the medium term. Neither the government, nor EirComReg likes unbundling. You actually have only one choice. It will be eircom (contention ratio 24:1 or worse) bought directly or via wholesale (BT & Co). Unfortunately the word “competition” is unknown in the Irish dictionary of telecommunications!

.p

I find Altavista Babelfish VERY useful for Chinese PDFs and Web pages of tech stuff. Now if I only had a way of puting paper printed Chinese into it. My Schoolboy french never reached Babelfish levels.

Acupuncture needles in the mouth = Connector Pins. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

probe wrote:
    Ni le gouvernement, ou « EirComReg » aime le dégroupage.
    Shouldn't that be "Ni le gouvernement, ni « EirComReg »..."?

Or should I stick to English-language pedantry? ;)

Even in French I think we all can follow the gloomy tone of the comment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tonton-bob wrote:

Breeze requires an aerial on the roof and drilling. As you sound like your renting this probably isn't allowed.

BTW IBB is considered the worst ISP here with generally a bad service. Eircom even with a high contention would be far better.

I really wouldn't take much notice of contention, it has little or no impact on most services. With Eircom, BT, etc. 99% of the time you will get close to 1mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

BT Ireland generally have the best deal. €35 a month for line rental + 1 meg DSL, and €45 a month for line rental + 1 meg DSL + all calls to landlines in Ireland and the UK included.

However, as some have said there may be a 12-month contract involved. Apart from that, check out Digiweb.ie. I'm fairly certain they only have a 6-month contract.

BT Ireland generally have the best deal. €35 a month for line rental + 1 meg DSL, and €45 a month for line rental + 1 meg DSL + all calls to landlines in Ireland and the UK included.

However, as some have said there may be a 12-month contract involved. Apart from that, check out Digiweb.ie. I'm fairly certain they only have a 6-month contract.
    Only slightly better than the recycled bean can and string deal available to one when marooned on a desert island to talk with one’s fellow Robinson Crusoe following a storm after one’s boat runs aground.

Why should you have to put up with 1 Mbits/sec when up to 28 Mbits/sec is available in efficiently regulated markets for even less money? Why should you put up with only getting free calls to landlines in two countries when free calls to 30 or so countries are available in efficiently regulated markets? Not to mention a digital cable/satellite SD/HD TV replacement + VoD etc.

Why put up with a 6 or 12 month contract when in competitive markets, DSL is provided by most companies “sans engagement de durée” – ie try DSL out for as long as you like and if you don’t like it you can dump it without penalty. I have never heard of anyone on the planet who has moved from dial-up internet access to DSL who concluded DSL is so boringly fast that they wanted to go back to a dial up connection where they can be ripped off by the minute while they surf at a crawl.

These minimum contract durations are brain dead, as is virtually everything to do with the way the telecommunications system is regulated, administered and operated in Ireland.

.probe

oscarBravo wrote:
    Shouldn't that be "Ni le gouvernement, ni « EirComReg »..."?

Oui.

I must admit I’m rather b@d when it komes to typos at a keyboard. I made a complete balls of the random breath test obligation section of the Road Traffic Act, 2006. (my day job). Frankly I’m a disaster at any keyboard I touch. My posting at 00h57 last night was par for the course.

Je vous prie de croire à l’expression de mes salutations distinguées.

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL > BB

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

probe wrote:
    I made a complete balls of the random breath test obligation section of the Road Traffic Act, 2006. (my day job).
    :D:):D

Advertisement