Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo - license limit?

Options
  • 28-09-2006 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Asked my local FO to ammend my cert to allow me hold more than 100 bullets for a .22lr.

AFAIK, he's new to the job as he wasn't sure if he could do so or not. He apparently asked his Super who said "no way"!

So, what's the story? 100 is fine for a .243, .270 or bigger etc. but for a paltry .22 rimfire..........?

CCI subsonics come in boxes of 100 so I can technically/legally only buy/possess one box at a time; can't have any HV or Hyper velocity with the subsonics etc.

I can't even but more ammo until EVERY last one of the subsonics are used :eek: .

I can have 5 boxes of various .270 ammo @ €40/50 a box (€2/300 in total) but only a single box of .22lr for €9/€10!

Absolutely farcical situation :rolleyes: .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I feel your pain. It's not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

I would not worry about it!!!
    how are they going to check how many rounds you have.. Its another one of these stupid laws that there is no way of checking.. whats to stop you buying 100rds in a shop today then tomorrow doing the same in another and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I have a similar problem with the shotgun; 25 cartridges....one measly box :eek:

With a limited licence, I think the 25 rounds is written into legislation so can't be extended, only plan would be to get an unlimited licence and ask for a higher cartridge limit.

limited licence
    ??

I wasn't aware there was anything different about my licence...whats this ?? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Look at your licence.. does it say on the first line

"This Unlimited... " or "This limited..."

Civdef explains the difference here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054885813&referrerid=&highlight=unlimited+licence

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

Ask your F.A.O for an EU firearms pass as far as i know its free ,this allows you to travel to any where in the EU with your gun for competitions and such but also allows you to have up to 500 rounds of ammunition, some people in my club have done this, i was lucky i asked for 500 when i applied for my .22 and got it no problem.
    Im just hoping im as lucky with my pistol lisence;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

TomBeckett wrote:
    I would not worry about it!!!
    how are they going to check how many rounds you have

Funnily enough, that's what the FO said :D .

Still, posessing more ammunition than is stated on the license is prohibited, possibly/probably illegal?

Getting more isn't a problem but rules are rules :cool: .

Interested in the assertion that a EFP would allow possession of up to 500 rounds but I can't find any confirmation. Anyone else able to confirm this?

Has anyone here had certs ammended from say 100 to 500? I'm told by a local dealer that such ammendments are easy & common. Looks like that's not the case for my local super though.

Just for info, my CZ452 really likes CCI Stingers :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

Kramer wrote:
    Asked my local FO to ammend my cert to allow me hold more than 100 bullets for a .22lr.

"Buy as many as you want. Do nothing that will draw attention to yourself and I dont care how many you have, but I wont increase the number of rounds on your licence" this is what my local FO told me. I have never had a problem and neither has he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

I know sevral who have had licences ammended from 500 to 2000 rounds. On my EFP 500 rounds was written opposite each firearm without me requesting it. Apperently this is normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

spideog7 wrote:
    I have a similar problem with the shotgun; 25 cartridges....one measly box :eek:

25...HUH??? Mine is restricted and I have 100 stated on the licence!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

In June of this year we wrote to the Gardai formally requesting that all licenses issued would have an allocation of 500 rounds, our main purpose was to ensure that renewals had a sensible limit, unfortunately at the time they received the request all licenses for 2006/7 had been printed.

We did however get a very favorable response and an indication that they recognized the need to have the default limit increased to 500, we did substantiate the request by indicating that all EU firearms pass have an allocation of 500 on them.

All new certificates we understand are being issued with 500 by default, if you are looking to increase your limit from 100 to 500 or more refer your local firearms officer to Garda HQ for advice, you should have little resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Just for info, my CZ452 really likes CCI Stingers :D .[/QUOTE]
    sorry for off topic
    thats odd my 452 hates em 4" 50m mine loves fed american eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

dfaf wrote:
    sorry for off topic
    thats odd my 452 hates em 4" 50m mine loves fed american eagles

I know! I thought they'd be crap accuracy wise but they're consistently grouping < 1.5" @ 75 yards & < 2" @ 100 yards from my Lux :eek: .
    FLAG wrote:
    All new certificates we understand are being issued with 500 by default, if you are looking to increase your limit from 100 to 500 or more refer your local firearms officer to Garda HQ for advice, you should have little resistance.

Thanks for the info FLAG ;) .

:)

"This Unlimited with endorsement ..."

..is what it says
    ??

I know 25 cartridges is a pain eg.
    Saturday night I was out and it was a savage night for duck (where i was anyway) I had 4 cartridges going with me, got a bit trigger happy first off then eased off a bit ....and missed 3 easy shots :o
    so i had to turn and walk away, with ,by my count, 9 mallard circling the pond i was at.. and that was only early :mad:

Could have started firing 2's at them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Read your license. Most certs have 100 rounds mentioned.....but what's important is the line above sayin "subject to the conditions listed below".
    Most permits say NONE.....which means you can carry as many rounds as you like

Vinnie

Which is of course, an entirely incorrect reading of how things work, but feel free try it with the guards or courts.

Hi Civ,

Had the row already with my previous FO.
    Whats the correct take on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

my licence also has a limit of 25.
    anyone who wanted to use their firearm for illegal purposes would have no problem getting as much ammo as they wanted.
    But i have to break the law just to shoot a few clays :(

The conditions mentioned refer to the A, B or C listed beneath that phrase, i.e. hunting for birds/mammals (A), second/subsequent shotgun cert (B) or limited shotgun cert (C).

If you read it in such a way that "NONE" means "nothing below applies" - then you couldn't purchase any ammunition at all!

That said, I feel that the PULSE format cert is terribly laid out and very unclear. Pity they didn't pick that up in the CJB.

• Advertisement

tired reading it again........still no sign of any of those conditions applying to a shooter who has NONE written on his license.

Surely it's not open to individual interpretation?
    It's seems to be written pretty plainly.

Does 100/200 rounds apply or not?
    I've asked and been made to feel a right tit by a FO......"can't u read???? NONE of those conditions apply to your license"

Vinnie

The ammunition limit is separate from the 3 listed possibile conditions, it applies regardless.

ya Civ is right

It says:

Subject to conditions ____ listed below
    Condition A: ...
    Condition B: ...
    Condition C: ... .
    and to purchase cartridges or rounds of ammunition.....blah, blah, blah

there is very little distinction between the end of Condition C and the ammunition limit, but they aren't the same... I thought that for a while too :rolleyes:
    "can't u read???? NONE of those conditions apply to your license"

ASFAIK he's the tit cause although what he said is true (neither A,B nor C apply to you)...the ammo limit isn't an "optional" condition like A,B and C...it's to be taken as a stand alone condition that applies to your licence regardless of whether any of the "optional" ones do or not.....
    so basically when your reading through your licence and you come to NONE that means that none of the conditions apply to you and you skip straight to the line
    and to purchase cartridges or rounds of ammunition.....
    and read through to the end.....
    I think thats right sorry if I confused the matter :)

Advertisement