Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smarts Aolynk Router and problems

Options
  • 28-09-2006 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I hope someone out there can help me, cause Smart don't seem to be able. I recently signed up to Smart Vision package and since I got the router I haven't been able to log onto Hotmail or O2 mail, I can log onto Yahoo but can compose, forward or even reply to mails. However my gmail seems to be working fine.
    Also, bit torrent no longer works...

Upon ringing Smart I was told that Yahoo and hotmail was blocked and that I needed to set up a Smart Mail account. Having never received the log or password I rang them back and was told that Smart Vision customers aren't allowed SmartMail accounts????? and that the router is not blocking anything and that it must be my fire wall. I know for a fact that it is not my fire wall but they are continuing to claim it is.

I have read alternate mails on the subject but I am getting a different menu structure in the Aolynk menu.

Help, Help, Help

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have you tried Smart Support forums for advice?
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I'm pretty sure that Smart aren't blocking access to Hotmail or Yahoo for customers - it's possible that employees might be blocked (lot's of companies block access to external e-mail accts, to make it harder for peope to open e-mail from their buddies that hasn't been scanned for viruses).

It sounds like you might need to tweak your MTU settings, but your best bet would be to take Bytes advice and ask for help in the Smart forums.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Foxwood wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that Smart aren't blocking access to Hotmail or Yahoo for customers - it's possible that employees might be blocked (lot's of companies block access to external e-mail accts, to make it harder for peope to open e-mail from their buddies that hasn't been scanned for viruses).

It sounds like you might need to tweak your MTU settings, but your best bet would be to take Bytes advice and ask for help in the Smart forums.

It sounds like they mean that the SMTP servers for Hotmail and Yahoo are blocked, which they are as port 25 traffic is restricted unless sent through Smart's own SMTP server to stop spamming.

I received my Smart connection and modem last Monday, and it only took me two hours to decide to replace it with a nice new Linksys WAG354G which makes things a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

smarts router is a piece of junk really, i did use it initially when it was sent out and it worked grand for a couple of months

all of a sudden after that my net connection would break for seconds at a time, dsl light would flash on and off and it made online gaming a complete mockery

suffice to say i switched back to my old dsl modem not long there after.. (which was ironically the netopia cayman one that eircom sent me the year before that, i still used that netopia for about 3 years and never once did i have one problem with it)

the aolynk one i noticed and i think did that due to heating problems, it used to be scolding hot at times, im not sure if that was ever the reason for its constant problems though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I do remember the aolynk firewall was badly setup for certain ports (if its turned on, on the router). I couldn't get to gmail initially because it blocked port 443 if I remember correctly. If the firewal is on try turning it off but make sure you have some sort of software firewall on the machine. See if that works. If not try turning off the software firewall and see what happens (not recommended with the way the interweb is these days).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnnio

I have tried turing off the firewall on the machine. No change.

The problem with the router is that I get the tv and phone through it as well...so I can't go with another router (I think!!)

I did go onto Smart support and I was pointed towards setting up a smtp account but as I am using webmail it is a mute point.

This interweb thingy will never take off.......grrrrr

Johnnio wrote:
    The problem with the router is that I get the tv and phone through it as well...so I can't go with another router (I think!!)

I did go onto Smart support and I was pointed towards setting up a smtp account but as I am using webmail it is a mute point.
    First off, I have absolutely no experience with Smartvision, and I don't remember anyone posting much about it here. You best bet for finding someone knowledgable to help will be on the Smart forums.

But in the meantime, there are a couple of things to work on. Forget about SMTP - it's not relevant for webmail. As for SSL being blocked - please, give me a break.

Have you confirmed that the problem occurs with different browsers? If you are using IE, download Firefox and try accessing your webmail accounts with that.

If the problems persist, and you can access some pages on a site, but not others, then the problem may be due to the Maximum Transmission Unit. Follow the instructions in the link above to lower the MTU on your machine, and see if that helps resolve the problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What you have not told people here but have on the Smart forums is that you are using a wireless router so that you have two routers in your set up. And the routing function in one of of them will have to be turned off before you can attempt to solve your problems.

dub45 wrote:
    you are using a wireless router so that you have two routers in your set up. And the routing function in one of of them will have to be turned off before you can attempt to solve your problems.

Interesting.

The simplest fix for that problem is to connect the Smart router to one of the LAN ports on the wireless router, instead of the WAN port. Disable the DHCP server on the wireless router, and you should be all set. The wireless clients will still be able to a get DHCP response from the Smart router, because it'll be on the same LAN as them, and you don't have any double router issues to resolve.

Advertisement