Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 ammunition

Options
  • 28-09-2006 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

My local firearms dealer only stocks Remington and American Eagle. At the moment i am shooting 50 grain hollow points in both. They are good rounds but i was wondering what else i can get. I am in south Dublin at the moment but will be moving to Wicklow shortly. Do you guys have any preferences? Where do you get your ammo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

It kinda depends on the rifle, the twist rate, and what you want to do with it.

Faster twist = Longer bullets = Heavier bullets = longer range.
    Slower twist = the opposite !

Are you using it for hunting or target shooting ...?
    What rifle is it ..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Mostly fox hunting but also some target shooting. I own a Brno 527 lux

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I have a .223 T3 Tikka which I use for foxes. I personal use Remington 55gr AccuTip BT, expensive at €30 per box but are extremly accurate. I use 55gr Remington UMC FMJ (€8.50)to zero (100m) the rifle and get target practice in as they have the same trajectory which is very handy.

Other Rounds I have tried.
    American Eagle 50gr HP (€11.50)
    Remington UMC 50gr JHP (€10.50)
    Remington UMC 45gr JHP (€10.50)
    Remington Match 62gr HP (€27.50)
    Hornady 75gr BT (€27.50 I think)
    Hornady 55gr V-Max Moly (€27.50 I think)

I have just picked up 64gr Federal Power Shock (€22ish) today so haven't tried them out yet

Terrier wrote:
    I have a .223 T3 Tikka which I use for foxes. I personal use Remington 55gr AccuTip BT, expensive at €30 per box but are extremly accurate. I use 55gr Remington UMC FMJ (€8.50)to zero (100m) the rifle and get target practice in as they have the same trajectory which is very handy.

I have just picked up 64gr Federal Power Shock (€22ish) today so haven't tried them out yet

Many thanks for the reply. I always use Remington .22lr ammo so i will try the umc to zero. Then try the ballistic tips.

At what range are you getting kills with the accutip rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

jcatony wrote:
    At what range are you getting kills with the accutip rounds?

I've shot up to 200 yards thats my own personal limit when it comes to live game but I have seen shots of nearly 300 yards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Terrier wrote:

Try j McBride Athlone Hornady 55Gr V-Max Moly 25E!! All other ammo cheaper also. Hornady V-Max moly fantastic round! I have a rem 700VS SF II;)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Terrier wrote:

I tried all the above as well as sako 50gr soft points i found the remington accu-tips to be excellent on foxes they dont half expand:eek: The american eagles hp are also a great bullet for the price i shoot a lot of foxes for the local gun club so i use american eagles most as there easiest on the pocket:o I have had perfect clean kills out to 250yards with them,id highly rate them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

whats the issue with moly coated bullets and the barrell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

slugster wrote:
    whats the issue with moly coated bullets and the barrell?

Now you've opened a can of worms. Some say moly is good for the barrel and some say it's bad. Personal opinion ....... same as copper, don't let too much of it build up. I use Kroil, got it from Sinclair International's web site, for removing it.

Now the flood gates will open ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 223 Hornady

IMHO I think that the 55gr Hornady ballistic tips are the best , I have tried quite a few but my Rifle with its 1in 9 twist doesnt like the light 40 or 45 gr bullets , it loves all 55gr and 60gr bullets , shoots 50gr pretty well , but I havent been able to get anything over 62gr to try . the shop with the best selection of .223 ammo is definitely James Mc Bride in athlone Great prices and a great guy to deal with I get all my ammo there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

I have a Remington 700 VSSFII in .223Rem. Can someone tell me the rate of twist of the barrel if that is a fast or slow rate and what type of bullets would suit it? By type I mean weight and shape. Someone mentioned that a heavier bullet is better suited to a fast twist and vice versa.
    I think it’s a right hand twist with one turn every 12 inches but I’m not sure.

Seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

you're right, it is 12"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

All rifling has to be right hand twist. You're rifle being a 1" in 12" twist means max weight is approx 60 grains, try hornady, they're excellent or remmy accutip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

try some 50 or 53 grain hornady match.they'd be well suited to the twist rate in your gun jcatony

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dermo72

I use a 62gr soft point in my .223 rem and find them a great round for foxes, the have great stopping power and are very accurate i zero at 150 yards this means at 300 yards my drop is not to bad, and at 200 to 250 its just straight on him no need to allow for major drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Shot my first fox last night with my new 223:D
    Used Federal 64g soft points, got him side on at about 125 yards, dropped on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Shot my first fox last night with my new 223:D
    Used Federal 64g soft points, got him side on at about 125 yards, dropped on the spot.

Well done hope you get years of pleasure out of it.
    Just out of interest how much did you pay for the soft points?

Remmy wrote: »
    try some 50 or 53 grain hornady match.they'd be well suited to the twist rate in your gun jcatony

Cheers, remmy

Advertisement