Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

n00b questions - ubuntu - NIC redetection

• 28-09-2006 11:36pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ubuntu 6.6
    I'm trying to install a network card, and all Mr Google shows is stuff on wireless cards or on how get IP working on eth0, and I can't for the life of me find stuff on how to get eth0 recognised. ( used my old trick of iwconfig to see if it would at list eth0 as not having wireless extensions, but nada.

The card was working fine, then stopped working. The RJ45 connector is coming away from the PCB, which is not a good thing :( so I popped in a new PCI NIC.

I can see the new card with lspci

How do I do a hardware re-detection for a specific device / or for all devices ?

BTW:
    If you're a windows user trying ubuntu have a look at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper ( I've just installed IE 6 :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm surprised it doesn't Just Work. What does 'ip link list' show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

indeed, what does "ifconfig" get you? also, what does dmesg say about the card?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I doubt it's an IP problem, the device doesn't have a driver loaded,
    when the driver is loaded, I may then have an ip problem.

It's like the google searches - LOADS of stuff on IP/Aliases/Wifi/binding IP to second NIC, I'm finding it dang hard to filter out info on manually adding a new NIC driver.

*me bangs head on desk,* ;)

ifconfig only lists lo
    tbh I use iwconfig because of the number of times it listed cards that ifconfig didn't yet list till the ip was sorted

the driver is not listed in "device manager" or lsmod
    lspci lists the card by brand but not by model

didn't get a chance to lookup dmesg as am not near the machine now :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I doubt it's an IP problem, the device doesn't have a driver loaded,
    when the driver is loaded, I may then have an ip problem.
    I didn't say anything about an IP problem. ;) "ip link" operates on interfaces (layer 1); "ip neighbor" on ARP (layer 2), "ip addr" and "ip route" on IP stuff (layer 3).

dmesg is your next step. What's the make/model/chipset of the card?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

will retry again when at it

this is the sort of thing I'm looking for
    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/hardware-detection.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Probe for devices
    #discover --enable-all -d

Should include a line like
    Found BROADCOM Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (ethernet)

Loading the appropriate drive, if you know it's name is

#modprobe -a -v b44

where b44 is for the broadcom above

will result in the kernel loading this module
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/kernel/drivers/net/b44.ko

then
    #/etc/init.d/networking restart

will run the scripts to do dhcp discovery etc.

If the system worked at the start then perhaps running a cd bootable knoppix should help to identify the correct driver to use instead of b44.
    #lsmod | grep mii
    on a working 2.6 setup will often give you the network driver without having to browse through pages of mods.

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Bit of googling. Better way might be
    Identify your card using
    #lspci -v
    gives
    0000:00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)

#lspci -v -n
    gives the pci device id as
    0000:00:09.0 0200: 14e4:4401 (rev 01)

There will be a line in the modules.pcimap that matches this id with a driver module name
    # grep 4401 /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/modules.pcimap

b44 0x000014e4 0x00004401 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x0

Giving you the name of the driver to feed to modprobe or insmod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

ifconfig only lists lo
    tbh I use iwconfig because of the number of times it listed cards that ifconfig didn't yet list till the ip was sorted

ifconfig -a will list all interfaces with drivers whether they have an IP or not.
    What is the card?
    You say you can see it with lspci, but don't say what it is.
    Let us know, it might just be an awkward one.

If a driver seems to be loaded, try mii-diag to see if it's having a problem negotiating a link.

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

sudo aptitude install linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r)

I'm using edgy, so my kernel version is different, but the right stuff should be in there in the 2.6.15 or whatever you have. I'm guessing you have an atheros card.
    $ sudo aptitude show linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r)
    Package: linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-10-386
    State: installed
    Automatically installed: no
    Version: 2.6.17.5-5
    Priority: optional
    Section: restricted/misc
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Uncompressed Size: 21.4M
    Depends: linux-image-2.6.17-10-386, linux-restricted-modules-common (>= 2.6.17), module-init-tools, nvidia-kernel-common
    Suggests: nvidia-glx | nvidia-glx-legacy, avm-fritz-firmware-2.6.17-10
    Provides: nvidia-kernel-1.0.7184, nvidia-kernel-1.0.8774
    Description: Non-free Linux 2.6.17 modules on 386
     This package provides restricted modules for Linux version 2.6.17 on 386. Currently the following modules are included:
     * madwifi (Atheros)
     * fglrx (ATI)
     * nvidia
     * fcdsl, fcdsl2, fcdslsl, fcdslslusb, fcdslusb, fcdslusb2, fcdslusba, fcpci, fcusb, fxusb (AVM ISDN)
     * ltmodem (Winmodem)

These modules are "restricted" because they are not available under a completely Free licence.

• Advertisement

Steveire wrote:
    I'm using edgy, so my kernel version is different, but the right stuff should be in there in the 2.6.15 or whatever you have. I'm guessing you have an atheros card.
    eh, nope.
    In my first post I was moaning that all I could find on google was stuff on WiFi.
    *me bangs head on wall * ;)

OK here is how it was
    ifconfig no Eth0
    mii-diag no card
    lspci D-Link but no card number

didn't have much time to debug so popped in a 10Mb 3C900B combo card (no expense spared :D ) as well. run ifconfig and eth1 and eth2 are just sitting there acting all innocent as if nothing had happened, the combo got a DHCP address too, (aren't they supposed to pick up the coax port to make to make life difficult ?) The D-Link returned an autoconfig address 169.254 a little later, but being lazy I just ifconfig eth1 down'd it.

Thanks all.

Advertisement