Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving google rating

Options
  • 29-09-2006 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Don't want to sound vain or anything but I would like to improve the relevancy of a google search for my name. Does anyone know how I can go about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steveo1983

Find a cure for aids

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

1 day ban for Steveo.

Moving to Webmaster/Flash as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

get other sites to link to you ,make sure your meta tags are optimised and you can submit your site to google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Google doesn't really use meta tags so don't bother with them.

As was said, getting other sites with a reasonable amount of traffic to link to you is the most important thing you can do.

Also be sure to include words that you consider to be keywords in plain text on your front page, a paragraph describing your site, for example.

If you have a Google account (e.g. for Gmail) look for "webmaster tools / sitemaps" in your services. This is incredibly useful. Once you register your site it will give you loads of information about how your site appears to Googlebot, things like when it was last crawled and links followed in the process. It will also let you know what changes you could make to the site structure to make it more Google friendly.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Also code your site with semantic HTML, e.g. call a header a header, a block of text a paragraph

<h1>My brilliant site</h1>
    <h2>About Me</h2>
    <p>I'm great!</p>
    <h3>Interests</p>
    <p>Getting high rankings in google</p>

Don't use markup that doesn't correctly indicate the type of content something is. E.g. don't wrap headers in a span, within a font tag, within a table or make them just an image which a search engine will skip right over.

Search engines like google view a page very much like a text only browser, so using correct web standards based markup on all your pages helps them index your site more effectively and thus improve your ranking.

If you want, post your site's url and I'll give the markup a quick once over.

But getting linked to by other sites is probably the best way to get ranked higher so start emailing similarly themed sites and exchange links.

• Advertisement
Advertisement