Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought Used Car in Dealer Advice Needed

Options
  • 29-09-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I purchased a used car from a large reputable BMW dealership. At the time of purchase I asked if this car had any dings or was in a crash, the dealers answer was no.

After purchase I have had a very good look around the car and there seems to be some panels resprayed on the left side(overspray present etc). I have asked the dealer to find out specifically what was done during preparation for sale.

At the time of purchase I asked them to respray the bonnet and they did that. However the rear quarter panel front wing and rear bumper have been sprayed. What is my comeback? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You should have a look at the vehicles service history. Maybe check out that webby too, cartell.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Thanks for the reply.
    It has a service history and also on Cartell it is fine.

Is respraying of baody panels acceptable to cover minor scratches? What I am more worried about is that the side was taken off it and redone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Body repairers like big damages are only recorded if the owner goes with the insurance company to get it fixed.

In my opinion, panel resprayed due to small dents or scratches shouldn't be considered big damages to be worried about. It happens all the time. Some jobs are done very well make it nearly impossible to noticed. The other day I have seen a 06 BMW in a garage cause some "friend" scratch the car with a sharp object starting at the tail light and all the way to the head light.

Many dealers bring cars taken as trade-ins to panel beaters to remove small scratches and dents, and I would not classify this as something major. Is like you having a shave before going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Gavin1 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.
    It has a service history and also on Cartell it is fine.

Is respraying of baody panels acceptable to cover minor scratches? What I am more worried about is that the side was taken off it and redone.

For company cars coming back off lease the body panels are quite often re-sprayed to cover scratches. Generally it's minor cosmetic damage rather than anythind serious. See if you can find out the original owner of the vehicle (probably a business or leasing company) and contact them - they'll have all the documentation as to what was done on the vehicle before it was returned to the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Sorry for the delay in responses.

It turns out the car has had 2 previous owners(only told one at time of purchase), garage and A.N Other. Also 7 body panels were sprayed in 2005.

What are my rights in this? Can I return the car if necessary?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

7 panels is a lot - but the nature of the repair is important. Did two gougers leave parallel key tracks down the two sides or was it scraped against a tree down two sides? Both will require painting - one is a lot more serious than the other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Painting the car to cover up blemishes like scratches, key marks, etc is OK - unless its a poor job. What you need to establish is whether or not the car was in aserious accident - serious enough to compromise the cars safety structure. Try to get a list of previous insurers and contact them for any claim history.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gavin1 wrote:
    It turns out the car has had 2 previous owners(only told one at time of purchase), garage and A.N Other

Ownership is usually not transferred to the garage, so they were right about one owner. Also, you could have checked this for yourself on the VLC you signed when buying the car

Advertisement