Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M3 Grills

Options
  • 29-09-2006 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a garage that would cut / insert M3 grills into the front wings of my 318ci?
    Any idea of the cost involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ronanom wrote:
    Does anyone know of a garage that would cut / insert M3 grills into the front wings of my 318ci?
    Any idea of the cost involved?

I presume you mean the vents or gills in the M3 wings. You could probably buy fake ones that just stick to the standard 3 Series wing on eBay but to be honest they would look terrible imo on anything other than a genuine M3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

bazz26 wrote:
    I presume you mean the vents or gills in the M3 wings. You could probably buy fake ones that just stick to the standard 3 Series wing on eBay but to be honest they would look terrible imo on anything other than a genuine M3.

They're to be cut in...
    It's an M3 replica

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the amount you'll lose on resale than the cost of doing the work.

Anan1 wrote:
    If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the amount you'll lose on resale than the cost of doing the work.

Well it's the only thing thats missing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Any Pics?

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ronanom wrote:
    apart from the M3 engine, suspension, etc, etc.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You'll get a better result if you just fit the genuine M3 wings. They're not hugely expensive. Can be picked up of eBay cheap too.

If its a decent M3 replica, I presume you have the bonnet and bumper already done, so the wings should just bolt on without any drama.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

kdevitt wrote:
    You'll get a better result if you just fit the genuine M3 wings. They're not hugely expensive. Can be picked up of eBay cheap too.

If its a decent M3 replica, I presume you have the bonnet and bumper already done, so the wings should just bolt on without any drama.

Are the front and rear arches on the M3 not flared? If they are then the difference would be very noticeable

Ronanom wrote:
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    apart from the M3 engine, suspension, etc, etc.

Sorry Ronanom, but I agree with Lex, everyone to there own though.

Also, I'd say any body shop would be able to help you out.

Sparks400 wrote:
    Are the front and rear arches on the M3 not flared? If they are then the difference would be very noticeable

Yes, they're flared. I doubt the guy is going to get new quarter panels bolted in to be honest. The front sections would all bolt in.

What difference would be very noticeable? Front to rear??

So..Anyone know of a garage then?

• Advertisement

Soraghans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Do you have the quad exhausts, original M seats, original M steering wheel & gear lever too. Oooh ooh, and don't forget the M speedo cluster with the white surrounds and grey dial backing.

/I'm not winding up the OP, just the nay sayers in the thread. It's your car, enjoy it OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

But the whole shell of an M3 is different so you'd have to change the 1/4 panels and wings, which would come with holes already there for the grilles. If you did go through all that you'd have to get a serious set of wheels to fill those arches.

Nobodsy is going to be fooled by a set of gills when the car doesn't have flared arches !!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

A nice looking sporty 318i would look great. Trying to have it pass for a genuine M3 is a bid sad IMO.

Stop...your gonna make me cry...

It's got the bumper / skirts / rear kit
    Electric heated mirrors
    Quad exhausts
    19" Wheels
    Black Sports leather
    All dash mouldings

Would just like to fit the grills.
    Soraghans you say? Thanks

the end

All you need now is a new suspension, new brakes and another 200 BHP and your home and dry!!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

why not save up and bye an M3 you own a 318 not an M3 why waste all that money on a fake

onemanband wrote:
    All you need now is a new suspension, new brakes and another 200 BHP and your home and dry!!

To be fair, you could take 200bhp off most of the M3s around my way and the owners wouldn't notice a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

have you still got the 318ci badge on the back?

you might want to think about losing that.

If it was a 325ci or higher, I might say you were ok, but when you pull up to the lights and some guy in his evo is fooled and thinks you have an M3 and wants to race you, then you'll look a bit silly.

I would have saved all the money you've spent and thrown it into a nice 325ci

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    To be fair, you could take 200bhp off most of the M3s around my way and the owners wouldn't notice a thing.

Its the smile on the drivers face when he/she gets out that proves for sure it's a M3. The only car you're happy to drive 50 miles for a pint of milk!!

onemanband wrote:
    Its the smile on the drivers face when he/she gets out that proves for sure it's a M3. The only car you're happy to drive 50 miles for a pint of milk!!

You're falling into the trap of assuming that most people buy M3s because they like driving - in my experience, they don't. Many are bought for exactly the same reason as the OP has for making his 318 look like an M3 - to make a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Don't see the point in it myself. Sure, it will look nice, but it's just not what it's supposed to be. It's like putting a top hat on a tinker. Any chance you'll post pictures when it's done?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anan1 wrote:
    You're falling into the trap of assuming that most people buy M3s because they like driving - in my experience, they don't. Many are bought for exactly the same reason as the OP has for making his 318 look like an M3 - to make a statement.

i dont get this, how do you know why someone else buys an m3

its probably the most discrete supercar (well near enough to one especially in ireland) you can get. in my experience m3 buyers tend to be enthusiasts. the people you talk of usually buy a 2.5 boxster or something

Cyrus wrote:
    i dont get this, how do you know why someone else buys an m3

its probably the most discrete supercar (well near enough to one especially in ireland) you can get. in my experience m3 buyers tend to be enthusiasts. the people you talk of usually buy a 2.5 boxster or something

I suppose we could argue about this until the cows come home! I base my opinion on a combination of knowing a couple of owners and seeing how many of the cars are driven on the road. I do grant you that the effect is much more marked when it comes to TTs & Boxsters, but I have seen M3s being bought in a "Give me the best 3 series" manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote:

Gotta agree with this. A BMW M3, and to an even greater extent, an M5 is less ostentatious than most other cars in the same price range. Not the cars of choice for the average poseur

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

spose we'll just have to disagree anan, no harm in that. a very wealthy friend of mine had both a golf r32 and an m3 when he worked with me (as a trainee accountant at the time) so as not to put peoples nose out of joint and generally it work, people presumed the r32 was a nice looking golf and the m3 was again a nice 3 series coop and thats what he wanted.

at unkel, going home next weekend to my parents wheres theres some space to try out my new porter cable on the e46 i bought :) ill post some piccies then, you'll be happy to note i bought a manly 323ci :) love that straight 6!

I'd have a debadged E28 M5 in a heartbeat myself. Now that has to be the ultimate Q-car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote:
    at unkel, going home next weekend to my parents wheres theres some space to try out my new porter cable on the e46 i bought :)

Wanna test the porter cable on my car first? :D

Belated congrats on your new car, Cyrus. What is it, a 323ci 2.5? 6-pot galore anyway, I hope :)

@Anan1 - you know they are very rare now. Why an E28 anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

[QUOTE=Anan1but I have seen M3s being bought in a "Give me the best 3 series" manner.[/QUOTE]

Quiet outspoken on this topic Anan1! Sounds like jealousy to me. :D

Advertisement