Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Release] IrelandOffline call on Minister Dempsey to give wireless broadband to every

Options
  • 29-09-2006 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline today called on Minister Noel Dempsey to intervene and give hope to the 25% of the population who cannot get broadband by revoking eircom's drastically underused Fixed Wireless Broadband Access (FWA) licence and redistributing the spectrum to other broadband providers who will make better use of this national resource.

Full Press Release

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭wiredup

That's all well & good but it won't make any difference.
    Where I live in Mayo I'm probably less than 10 miles from wireless broadband providers Westnet. For two years I've been waiting for them to reach me. Their network seems to be spreading at a snails pace.
    I'm assuming they don't have a great deal to invest, but at the same time a rapidly growing network coverage area would bring many customers!
    I can't understand the business model. There seems to be huge demand but little progress.

Crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Find them a high spot in your area with a power supply and good coverage, thats howevery wireless network spreads initially . But if you cannot find it then neither can they and thats your problem.

NE Ways, back to eircoms squatted 3.5Ghz spectrum and the total pathetic failure of Comreg to enforce the licence conditions or levy fines.

Noel could give his very first ministerial directive on that spectrum ....if Comreg' legal team have not frightened him off that is .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Unfortunately this was meant to be released in conjunction with a daily newspaper doing a story on it but Bertie and his speaking functions knocked it off the paper.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Find them a high spot in your area with a power supply and good coverage, thats howevery wireless network spreads initially . But if you cannot find it then neither can they and thats your problem.

NE Ways, back to eircoms squatted 3.5Ghz spectrum and the total pathetic failure of Comreg to enforce the licence conditions or levy fines.

Noel could give his very first ministerial directive on that spectrum ....if Comreg' legal team have not frightened him off that is .

At the mountain behind us I can see some sort of antenna, maybe it's TV. One would assume it has power.
    On the other hand, I was under the impression wireless networks could spread from house to house, I think they call that nodes.
    It's supposed to be at Ballyheane which is on the main road to castlebar. Why can't it spread along the main road down to Partry where I am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

While it's possible to build a "mesh" network that spreads from house to house, it's probably not commercially feasible to support one. I don't know of any commercial wireless providers that use anything other than "point to point" networks, with subscribers getting their signal from a central antenna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

wiredup wrote:
    At the mountain behind us I can see some sort of antenna, maybe it's TV. One would assume it has power.
    On the other hand, I was under the impression wireless networks could spread from house to house, I think they call that nodes.
    It's supposed to be at Ballyheane which is on the main road to castlebar. Why can't it spread along the main road down to Partry where I am?

There is a huge big TV tower in the middle of Ballinrobe, that must be some help to you being based in Partry. Not sure how service providers can get on the tower but it might be worth a few phone calls.

As for Ballyhane, I think they got a grant for a GBS but don't know what happened after that.

There is a huge big TV tower in the middle of Ballinrobe, that must be some help to you being based in Partry. Not sure how service providers can get on the tower but it might be worth a few phone calls.

As for Ballyhane, I think they got a grant for a GBS but don't know what happened after that.

I'm told the water between Ballinrobe & us stops the wireless signal from working correctly. Sounds like the old leaves on the railway line chestnut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eircom has 3.5Ghz wireless (on the spectrum that they should release for underuse) on that very tower in Ballinrobe.

While its costly to install they can supply you with 512k FWA BB from that tower . I bet they will refuse despite their claim its available which is proof that they are not complying with their licence.

In eircom terms Ballinrobe is well provided for as long as nobody asks for it ....

You could always email that nice Dave McRedmond ( dmcredmond@eircom.ie or mcredmondd@eircom.ie ) and ask him to sort out the fixed wireless broadband in Ballinrobe for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote:

In eircom terms Ballinrobe is well provided for as long as nobody asks for it ....

You could always email that nice Dave McRedmond ( dmcredmond@eircom.ie or mcredmondd@eircom.ie ) and ask him to sort out the fixed wireless broadband in Ballinrobe for you .

Except he's now nearly gone...well will be gone very soon.

Advertisement