Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I 'Paddy20' stop posting on the North-West Forum ?..

Options
  • 29-09-2006 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I hold the record for being banned for the longest period on this North-West forum.

I now think the time has arrived for a decision to be made, as to whether my threads and posts are worthwhile, or should I stop contributing to this forum .

Therefore, a poll would seem to be the most logical democratic solution .

Please express your opinion without fear or favour on this poll, and the moderators are obviously free to vote as well, although I personally will not be casting a vote.

Naturally, this poll is designed to facilitate the honest opinions of North-West forum members. Which will be respected by me .

Thank you for participating in this poll.

Paddy20. :cool:

:

Should 'Paddy20' continue contributing to the North- West forum ?. 39 votes

I think 'Paddy20' should continue contributing.
    0%
    I think 'Paddy20' should stop contributing.
    48%
    D-GenerateSangreMossy MonkbyteGoodshapeOur man in Havanagenieaphex™b0bsquishdingdingshayserdemanbettlebroxHeinrichCarrickmangalwayrushsmasheyretalivityicom 19 votes
    I think 'Paddy20's' contributions are good for this forum ?.
    17%
    D-GenerateSangrebyteKaromaaphex™jimmycrackcorm0lordy 7 votes
    I think this forum would 'be better off' without Paddy20 ?.
    33%
    D-GenerateSangreMossy MonkbyteOur man in Havanagenietuxyaphex™Miss Polarisb0bsquishshayseril gattoMadam 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

How about adding in another option in the poll like - "I would welcome Paddy20's posts if he stopped his rants and misquotes"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

'It depends"?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy,

While we may not agree on everything, I think you should keep your posts coming. Some of the threads you have started have got us all thinking in a way we would never have done if it wasn't for them. Also, you are the life and soul of the North West party. :) (You also keep Muffler and Nanook on their toes).

smashey wrote:
    (You also keep Muffler and Nanook on their toes).

Costing me a fortune on valium :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

The northwest forum needs paddys madness, It would be no fun without it... and his last wave of threads have been excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I hav'nt been a member of the Boards ie for very long so I did'nt think I qualified for a vote really , but I looked back at some of your posts and you seem to be one of the most prolific posters on here and you do have some interesting things to say so,I voted for this one.
    I think 'Paddy20's' contributions are good for this forum ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Your signal-to-noise ratio might be lower than most (or is that higher than most?.. more noise is what I'm on about) but in amongst the egotism there has been some interesting contributions on your part.

I'd say continue on for as long as you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

wait.............you mean anyone can start threads?

i thought it was just paddy!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

paddy

I have to say i am shocked to see this form of ego massage going on here.

You have your opinion, you have voice, it sometime clashes with others hence a thing called discussion.

I am not voting on this but i am thinking of starting my own thread on the same line, Is nanook the stud that he thinks he is or something on those lines.

I really do think this thread is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

free country. post away

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote:
    free country. post away
    Wouln't be too sure if you can call the country "free" but the boards are not insofar as it is private and free speech is not on the agenda despite what some people think

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmmm. Is this thread neccessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

nanook wrote:
    paddy

I have to say i am shocked to see this form of ego massage going on here.

You have your opinion, you have voice, it sometime clashes with others hence a thing called discussion.

I really do think this thread is pointless.

nanook,

I can assure you that this poll is not an "Ego massage" exercise, as I have never had an ego.

As for " discussion", some peoples interpretation of that may differ from your own.

Especially mine, which has resulted in me getting banned by your goodself, and your request to have me banned from 'all of Boards.ie ' at the same time was unjustified and egotistical and childishly vindictive without due cause, on your part,for a moderator on the N.W. Forum to even attempt to have a local N.W. forum poster 'banned' permanently from 'All of boards was way OTT, but as you had just become a new father, I forgave you.

I have my own reason for posting this poll, and IMHO it is justified, reasonable and democratic, that is my opinion to which I hope I am entitled.

BTW: I am not voting on this poll, if I was an 'egotist' as you suggest I would of course be voting in favour of Paddy20 ;) .

P. :cool:

N.B. Despite 'muffler's anti - freedom of speech comments, I hope people will continue to vote, and post their personal views on this thread, as believe me there is 'method in my madness' :) , and let's not be so serious ?[/B

byte wrote:
    Hmmm. Is this thread neccessary?
    It most certainly is not necessary. I would have expected something like this from a 9 year old but not from an adult? We have all seen the selfish kid who runs off in a huff shouting "Im not going to play again" just because everyone else doesn't behave the way the spoilt kid wants them to.

Paddy's method of madness here consists off a poll of a few people who will say yes, Paddy should continue to post. In my 4 years on the boards I have never seen anyone start a poll about their own contribution on boards.ie

Paddys point in all of this will be to say to the moderators - "here look, the majority of people want me here and therefore they agree with what I am posting and that being the case you will not be able to censor anything I post"

As I said in a previous post Paddy is slipping back and is reverting towards the ranting again and posting snide remarks directed at both nanook and myself.

When he is on form there is no better contributor here but sadly a lot of Paddy's posts in the past just degenerated into nothing more than a rant at everyone and everything in authority. That wont happen again.

muffler wrote:
    It most certainly is not necessary.

Paddys point in all of this will be to say to the moderators - "here look, the majority of people want me here and therefore they agree with what I am posting and that being the case you will not be able to censor anything I post"

As I said in a previous post Paddy is slipping back and is reverting towards the ranting again and posting snide remarks directed at both nanook and myself.

muffler,

Sorry, but IMHO you are expressing your opinion, and it is very far from the truth . Take a chill pill/Valium ;).

If I was really annoyed with you or 'nanook', I would PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Guys

Lets get this back on track, paddy wants the people to decide if he should stay or go, let them decide, but if the rules are broken then it is down to the mods. Simple as that

Paddy how are the results coming on, as i said i would not partake in the vote so i can not see the results.

Currently, -18 in favour of me, and 5 against.This has not given me an ego ;) , So why not let the poll run it's course, without me being accused of being childish, or making snide remarks against our moderators.

I agree the poll may be unigue, but I believe it could in the end prove of benefit to the N.W. Forume even though I have left myself open to honest criticism from member's.

However, it is not designed to knock our moderators in any way, believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for both 'muffler' and 'nanook' .

Finally, let me just state that I am a bit tired of looking over my shoulder and waiting for retribution of a type that I disagree with, a little freedom of expression is no bad thing .

nanook, Even though I have not voted. On the bottom of the poll, on the bottom right hand corner, there is a 'View Poll Resuls' option, hope that helps :) Everyone.

byte

I'm not sure why 2 similar questions were asked twice.

Anyway, I think you should continue posting, as long as you keep on the straight and narrow and don't veer off the slippery slope! :)

byte wrote:
    I'm not sure why 2 similar questions were asked twice.
    Im lost on that

byte wrote:

Anyway, I think you should continue posting, as long as you keep on the straight and narrow and don't veer off the slippery slope! :)

Thanks for your vote , but I find all your votes ?.. confusing.
    'byte'.

• Advertisement
    byte

Yes, it's a multiple option poll so I voted for all 2/4 questions.

Basically, stay if you're going to be constructive and beneficiary, which we know you can be.

But go if you intend going off on rants at random intervals.

byte wrote:
    Basically, stay if you're going to be constructive and beneficiary, which we know you can be.

Unfortunately that option was not available in the poll. If it had have been it would be a runaway winner by now.

byte wrote:
    Yes, it's a multiple option poll so I voted for all 2/4 questions.

byte,

There are only four options, on the poll, and that is not my fault,
    Seems to me that you should , decide if you want me around taking into consideration the plus contributions against the negative. Then express your honest opinion ?..which up to know you have failed to do.

muffler wrote:
    Unfortunately that option was not available in the poll. If it had have been it would be a runaway winner by now.

muffler,

Once again you are expressing a personal opinion, let the individual members vote or post their own individual opinions, instead of you pre-empting other people's views.

byte

Well, I'm afraid that's the only opinion I'm going to offer. Whether you stay or go is up to you, not for the rest of us to decide, moderators excluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

as an avid reader of this board i suggest you continue to post

Paddy, I have just read all the posts in this thread again and I think there are a few items that should be addressed.
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Especially mine, which has resulted in me getting banned by your goodself, and your request to have me banned from 'all of Boards.ie ' at the same time was unjustified and egotistical and childishly vindictive without due cause, on your part,for a moderator on the N.W. Forum to even attempt to have a local N.W. forum poster 'banned' permanently from 'All of boards was way OTT, but as you had just become a new father, I forgave you.

N.B. Despite 'muffler's anti - freedom of speech comments, I hope people will continue to vote, and post their personal views on this thread, as believe me there is 'method in my madness' :) , and let's not be so serious ?[/B

As a moderator of this forum, Nanook applies the rules as set out in the charter. If he thinks you have done something that deserves a site-ban, then that is his prerogative based on what you have said. I don't know Nanook personally but i'm pretty sure that whatever his reasons, you can't put it down to him becoming a father. I think you should retract that remark.

Regarding Muffler and his "anti-freedom of speech comments", how many times do we have to point out to you that freedom of speech, per se, isn't an option on boards.ie. Remember this is a private site with certain rules and regulations regarding libel/slander etc.

I think your biggest problem is that every time you start banging on about freedom of speech, your frustration boils over and you tend to get a little bit carried away. This leads to conflict with the moderators. Why can't you just accept the rules and post accordingly.

smashey,

I never knew you were a moderator of this forum?..When did that happen.

Apart from that, I did not really expect this Poll/Thread to be so controversial, and as far as I am concerned the moderators have my full permission to remove/delete it along with the poll, if they feel it would be in the long term best interest of this forum, as with one of posters in particular, it is becoming something of a farce, which I do not wish the N.W. Forum to have to ever contend with.

Over to the moderators ;)

Paddy20 wrote:
    muffler, Once again you are expressing a personal opinion
    I see. Im not allowed an opinion.

Damn boards. Just when you think you can say something you are told no - keep your opinions to yourself

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    smashey,

I never knew you were a moderator of this forum?..When did that happen.

Apart from that, I did not really expect this Poll/Thread to be so controversial, and as far as I am concerned the moderators have my full permission to remove/delete it along with the poll, if they feel it would be in the long term best interest of this forum, as with one of posters in particular, it is becoming something of a farce, which I do not wish the N.W. Forum to have to ever contend with.

Over to the moderators ;)

Paddy,

I'm not moderating here as you well know. I'm telling you how it is. The rules apply to the whole site and not just the North West. It's about time you learned to live with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement