Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For FF voters only...well?

Options
  • 29-09-2006 9:55am

...don't want this to turn into another 'Dublin traffic/housing/health' battle, so interested in the views of anyone who intended to vote FF next time round.

1. If there was an election tomorrow, would you still vote FF?
    2. Should Ahern go?
    3. Will Ahern go?
    4. What potential leader would be likeliest to improve FF's chances at an election?

For me
    1. Yes. Though disgusted by the recent turn of events, still happy with their policies and believe they will provide the best Government.

2. Absolutely.

3. I think so. Backbenchers will realise that, for the first time ever, Ahern will be a liability facing into what was going to be a difficult election anyway.

4. Mary Hanafin. Dublin based, would be seen as a welcome break from the old guard, no blot on her copybook (arf arf). Drawback is her lack of ministerial experience, but it's hardly something Kenny or Rabbitte can use against her...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I voted for MJ Nolan at the last election so I guess I can post here.

1. Not a chance they have failed in so many areas.

2. I actually don't think he should go, I think he should call an election for January and let the Irish people decide.

3. If he does it will only because he has no option, McDowell's pressure alone might not push him out but if FF TD's have lost confidence in him to lad the party into a General Election then they will force him out.

4. Cowen would most likely take over but I don't think Cowen would be appeal to alot of voters, Michael Martin might be another option but I don't know if any FF contender will have more or same appeal as Bertie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

1. Yes.
    Every politician is a gob****e. And on the gob****e scale, I believe that this Government is lower on the scale that the alternative.

2. No.
    Yes he made a mistake. But it's small beer and forgiveable in my view. Like what next are we going to pull the Pols up one next? Whether or not the left the toilet seat up or down?

3. Yes, but not until after the next election in June 2007 which will be his last election as a national politician.

4. Brian Cowan or Mary Hanafin in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

1. I have voted for them in the past, though I have voted elsewhere before.
    Current difficulties aside, the opposition still aren't coherent with policies. They've been to Mullingar twice, and not much has come of it. So, with that, I'd say FF if it were tomorrow.

2. Its still up in the air. Tuesday will give him time (and pollsters) to judge the mood of the country. People do realise that he is still the most popular politician in the country by miles. For a lot of people, and me, Enda Kenny just simply isn't Taoiseach material. Today in Tullow might be interesting.

2. Yes.
    Even on the grandest scheme of things, this is still small beer. (or Ale, in this case :) )

4. Dermot Ahern. Biffo doesnt do charm and charisma, and you need those qualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I gave Dick Roche my #4 in the election, so I suppose I could be counted as an FF voter...

1. Absolutely not - and nothing to do with Bertie's recent troubles either.

2. Definitely.

3. Definitely not - unless FF suffer a disastrous election next June.

4. Brian Lenihan. His perceived lack of "charisma" ensures that he'd never be able to win the "idiot vote" the way Bertie has, but I'd regard him as being far more intellectually capable than any of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I wouldn't trust Brian Lenihan as far as i could throw him. Some of the defences he has made for bertie over the last few days have been laughable

"Sure it was only a tiny amount of money (€50,000 is a tiny amount of money if you're a millionaire mr lenihan, you wouldn't even able to buy a bog standard Merc S class for that, but to ordinary people, it's a massive amount of cash)

"If this is the biggest skeleton he has in his closet after 30 years in politics then he's better than any of the rest of us" (paraphrasing) What does that say about the skeletons in your closet Briano? Will you be putting on an extravagant halloween display at some time in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

1. If there was an election tomorrow, would you still vote FF?
    2. Should Ahern go?
    3. Will Ahern go?
    4. What potential leader would be likeliest to improve FF's chances at an election?

I am a floating voter though my folks were staunch Fianna Fail Voters. The details that are currently in the public domain at the moment would not stop me voting Fianna Fail in the future.

I don't think he should go, IMO if he was really corrupt he would not have been in the financial trouble he is reported to have been in at the time.

AS it stands I don't believe he will go but if there is a continous drip of allegations that may change.

I wouldn't have a preference for a future leader of Fianna Fail but I agree that Mary Hanafin would appear to have the qualities required for the position .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

1. yes.
    IMO thier policies have been clear. Altho i would like to see the removal of Cullen, O'dea and o' donoghue. All for different reasons.

2. No. as someone else said, It's small beer.

3.I would have to wait until after next tuesday to answer that. I feel he might walk.

4.Deffo Dermot Aherne. IMO he has fantastic leadership qualities, He seems always clear and very capable at answering difficult questions. In talking with people in work who don't vote FF they also feel he has the right stuff.

In saying all of the above i feel very disappointed at what has gone on, But i really expected a stronger reaction from Labour and FG and sadly as i expected it has been extremley weak, They're kinda ''flappin'' around.

If you reversed the situation and say this was Pat Rabbite or Kenny i would be sure that the likes of Cowen and Dermot Aherne would hammer them to the wall.
    I want to be given food for tought by the opposition but they simply fail every time imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

In saying all of the above i feel very disappointed at what has gone on, But i really expected a stronger reaction from Labour and FG and sadly as i expected it has been extremley weak, They're kinda ''flappin'' around.
    It's not in Lab/FG interests to go for the jugular on this. First of all, there is a lot of fondness for Bertie, and the person who sticks the knife in will not be forgiven by the electorate. Secondly, a new leader could be very invigorating for FF and allow them to distance themselves from their abysmal record. The gullible electorate may well fall for the line that 'new improved FF' with a new leader is not related to the old corrupt FF. Lab/FG would much prefer to see a weak, damaged Bertie lead FF into the next election. It's a case of 'be careful what you wish for'.

For the record, I'm a Labour Party member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Akrasia wrote:
    I wouldn't trust Brian Lenihan as far as i could throw him. Some of the defences he has made for bertie over the last few days have been laughable

"Sure it was only a tiny amount of money (€50,000 is a tiny amount of money if you're a millionaire mr lenihan, you wouldn't even able to buy a bog standard Merc S class for that, but to ordinary people, it's a massive amount of cash)

"If this is the biggest skeleton he has in his closet after 30 years in politics then he's better than any of the rest of us" (paraphrasing) What does that say about the skeletons in your closet Briano? Will you be putting on an extravagant halloween display at some time in the future?

To be fair, I don't think Lenihan's words were any different to those of FF's other 'talking heads', who were wheeled out to defend the boss. Although his loyalty to Bertie is surely misguided. As one of the brightest people within FF, the fact that he hasn't been given a proper ministerial job is nothing short of a disgrace - particularly when you look at some of the current cabinet - O'Dea, Cullen, Dempsey, Brennan... Jesus wept.

Intellectual credibility is clearly an impediment to furthering a career within Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

RainyDay wrote:
    It's not in Lab/FG interests to go for the jugular on this. First of all, there is a lot of fondness for Bertie, and the person who sticks the knife in will not be forgiven by the electorate. Secondly, a new leader could be very invigorating for FF and allow them to distance themselves from their abysmal record. The gullible electorate may well fall for the line that 'new improved FF' with a new leader is not related to the old corrupt FF. Lab/FG would much prefer to see a weak, damaged Bertie lead FF into the next election. It's a case of 'be careful what you wish for'.

For the record, I'm a Labour Party member.

Well when i look at it that way i can't really argue. Good points all round. Dam politicans..very sneaky whores:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement