Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riversdale House for sale

Options
  • 29-09-2006 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Linking to this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52125012#post52125012

Yeats's last house is for sale: I'm suggesting that the State should buy it and run it as the Dublin Yeats Museum.

Yeats is a huge literary industry, and hundreds of thousands of tourists come to Ireland purely because they love his poems. It seems crackers that his last residence will almost certainly be turned into another apartment block.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Articles on the row caused when the original plan for apartments was mooted; now, apparently, it can be replaced by large houses, which is for some reason supposed to be better.

http://www.answers.com/topic/riversdale

From a purely monetary point of view, even, it's crazy not to take this house and set up a Yeats museum there. Many tourists aren't going to make it to Sligo, and they'd certainly visit a Dublin museum in a home Yeats actually lived in.

Hmm. No replies and one PM. In the words of Yeats,

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think you're right, turning it into a Yeat's museum would be a great idea. If they did that they could then move the current Yeat's exhibition in the National Library there when it winds up.

It would be nice to have a place where all his history was together. Maybe with a section on what else was happening at the time?

Knocking it down and building houses or apartments over it seems a little short-sighted.

BTW, I would've replied to this sooner but I only just spotted the thread.

Sometimes I feel as if I'm living in the house of an alcoholic parent, where the parent's looking around saying "What else can we sell?"

The Government just seems to be hocking the entire heritage of the Irish people for a bit of spare change - not to mention vital infrastructure like an airline used by hundreds of thousands of small businesspeople in business trips all over Europe. </foam>

Advertisement