Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Ford Focus stuttering/misfiring

Options
  • 29-09-2006 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a 01 Ford Focus which over the last few months has started to mis-fire or stutter as you go up through the gears or/and accelerate. It levels off at cruising speed. Its a pain though when you are starting off from traffic lights or trying to get the rev's up when passing out.
    Before I take the plunge and go to a Ford dealer to hook up their diagnostic system to the on board computer I was wondering if any other Focus owners had the same problem and if there is a simple (cheap!!) fix.

Doing a search on the problem it does seem to be a common problem (at least in the US) with the DPFE sensor which causes this misfire.

See http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80

I have tried to find the sensor under the bonnet using the pictures supplied but cant for the life of me find the damn thing. Now I am thinking that it could be a US model and either the sensor isnt fitted over here or it is a different shape/look.

Anyone come across this problem? Suggestions? While I am at it anyone know if you can download the Focus diagnostic software from the net and maybe be able to hook up a laptop and sort out problems ourselves without taking to a garage.

Thanks a mill.
    Pa

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PA,

It is the sensor alright, I had to mine replaced, pain in the heeeed and in the wallet.
    Cost about 300 euro to get it done in a Ford Dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Trampas

I had a similar problem with a 03 Ibiza but all it was in the end was a coil plug gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Personally i would say it's a coil pack. We've sold over 200 of these since january. Could be something else but i'd be leaning towards the coil pack. Cost €93 and you'd fit it yourself no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Personally i would say it's a coil pack. We've sold over 200 of these since january. Could be something else but i'd be leaning towards the coil pack. Cost €93 and you'd fit it yourself no problems.

Second that. Common complaint on Ford Mondeo's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Yeah coil pack,problem with mondeos,also ford changed the spark plug gap from 1.3 to 1.00mm to help this problem.if you do get a new coil then check your plugs also;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

Thanks all. Ill give the coil pack a lash and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'd go with the Ignition.

However a simple test.

First determine if indeed this car/engine even has EGR.
    If it has, then simply disconnect any connections, vacuum and/or electrical to the EGR valve itself, this will shut it off completely.
    Most cars will run quiet happily with it shut off, or at least shoudl not give that spluttering you report, unless it is stuck open, in which case it woud not idle properly , and you do not report that as a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i'd go with the coil pack as well and while your at it try to source a set of Denso Iridium plugs. the use 30% less power and give a higher power spark which would make your new coil pack last longer. for more info look here http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/iridium_spark_plugs.htm

Advertisement