Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"what" satellite nav to buy?

Options
  • 29-09-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All

I am a newbie with regard to " satellite navigation units". There is such a hugh choice of units available! I have a budget of €500 and "some basic wants" listed below if anybody could recommend a unit?

- up to date ireland coverage
    - European coverage
    - posibility to plug in/upgrade to US maps
    - portable
    - voice directions instructions

I know if I go to a retailer he will be biased for the sat nav product he stocks, it would be great to get any recommendations,

thanks Charlie:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beta Bill

I bought Garmin Nuvi 300 in Harvey Norman, was about €450 and shortly afterwards realised that Halfords did the same unit for about €70-80 less. Its a good unit but when you go onto 'back roads' it often doesnt recognise the roads which is frustrating 'cos thats when you really need the help!. The impressive thing about it though is that you can tap in an exact address and it will literally take you to the door. As there is lot a new estates/roads popping up everywhere dont expect any system to be up to date. I've downloaded several updates very easily from the web since I bough mine but they tend to be system updates and patches etc rather than updating roads not previously recognised.

I'm taking my unit to France on vacaiton next year and just have to buy a small card to get maps etc costing about stg€80 or so. You should be able to get a good unit for €400 so spend the other €100 on something else!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think you need to use a system with Navteq maps for the best Irish roads coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

I got a Goodmans GNAV10 off ebay for about €205 inc postage.
    Its got built in battery, 3.5" screen, uses destinator software.
    Comes with Ireland, uk and western europe maps.
    Pretty much up to date maps for Ireland, only thing I have come across is the new(ish) M50 / N11 interchange isn't on it. No problems around town and suburbs. Took it over to France last weekend, very handy when we only had about 6 hours on shore to navigate to the shops that the boss wanted to go to :D .

I'm pretty happy with it, does every thing I need it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 clearlyn2

Thanks for you recommendation skibum & Beta Bill. It looks like there are loads of choices, i guess I was looking for loads of people to be recommending a particular brand/make.

Any other advise would be appreciated for you guys or anybody else reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I would have thought the Aris T920 would have been an obvious recomendation... 10 pages about it two theads down from this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I've just got an Airis and I'm very impressed with it so far. Definitely recommended for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I suppose I'm in the same boat as the OP.

I see no-one has gone for the TomTom, either their One or Go 910. Is this really because of its poor with its coverage in Ireland? Does anyone know if the TomTom will cover Ireland better in the near furure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Personally I ended up buying a PDA and bluetooth GPS receiver. It cost about the same as most standalone units and the benifit is that I have a wireless PDA as well as a GPS unit.

DMC wrote:
    I suppose I'm in the same boat as the OP.

I see no-one has gone for the TomTom, either their One or Go 910. Is this really because of its poor with its coverage in Ireland? Does anyone know if the TomTom will cover Ireland better in the near furure?
    That's what put me off, as I've heard TomTom may not have the full Ireland maps included in their software until 2008 (but certainly 2007 at least). Well, that and the fact it was well over twice the price.

byte

Has anyone went for the Sony U50 satnav? It sure looks the part, and it seems to have got a good review on T3 site and has the Navteq Ireland map.

I just got a Nokia N80 which apparently can have a satnav app installed and worked in conjunction with a GPS receiver. I must read into it more! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

why dont u just buy a map it costs about 5 euro and u can use the other 495 euro on a brain to help u use it

only kidding ur great really u r :rolleyes:

byte

bubthatub wrote:
    why dont u just buy a map it costs about 5 euro and u can use the other 495 euro on a brain to help u use it

Why don't you learn how to spell properly! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

bubthatub wrote:

You obviously have never actually used Satnav. Much better than maps or someone reading directions to you from a map.

My brother has a Garmin C320. You can check out Garmin's map coverage on their website.

It's pretty good from what I can see.

All of them will probably update them once the Irish maps are in the proper format. AFAIK they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I bought a Garmin nuvi 300 for 420 in Harvey Norman. Found it great for driving in london and uk. Has most R road in Ireland but few of the back roads once you are in rural areas. Even so you can see which direction you need to go by zooming out until you get back on track. Size is great - fits in a shirt pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 42 clearlyn2

blastman wrote:
    That's what put me off, as I've heard TomTom may not have the full Ireland maps included in their software until 2008 (but certainly 2007 at least). Well, that and the fact it was well over twice the price.

Blastman, i have just been looking at the TomTom one europe retailing for €389 ,it seems like a good deal.It may not have 100% IRL coverage but I can wait for the update the inclusion of the european is a bonus.
    When you say that "its nearly twice the price" , what are you refering too? Appreciate if you can reply, also if any other forum member has a comment on the TomTom one europe?

I was referring to the Airis T920EF as priced by Pixmania (about 250) against the TomTom Go 910, which is at least twice that price. Didn't realise you were talking about the One, sorry.

Still, the Airis has maps for Europe too, is it worth 150-odd extra for the TomTom?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Well You can get the Airis Europe for €280 delivered from Pixmania
    and this has full coverage of Ireland.

If you go for the Tom Tom you pay €389 now (+ Delivery)
    and then another €100 ish for the updates next year.

I odreded an Airis and think it's the best deal out there @ present

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

molinaalexis, please don't post links to copyrighted material on this website.

Cheers,
    hullaballoo.

Advertisement