Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garmin: mapping and Macs

Options
  • 29-09-2006 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Good news from Garmin - the new NavTeq satellite maps of Ireland will be included in the Version 9 update (slated for the end of the year stometime). And better still, the Mac interface will be issued around the same time, so Mac users will be able to use their computer to upgrade their GPS device.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

luckat wrote:
    Good news from Garmin - the new NavTeq satellite maps of Ireland will be included in the Version 9 update (slated for the end of the year stometime). And better still, the Mac interface will be issued around the same time, so Mac users will be able to use their computer to upgrade their GPS device.

Excellent stuff, a few errors and ommissions in v8 which are quite annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Well, a few streets that have become one-ways. The only serious error I've found is around Christ Church in Dublin, where it sends you into a series of one-ways if you try to get it to bring you to Dorsett Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been (semi) seriously thinking of investing in a Satnav but there's so many different models.. what's the current one of choice and price / best coverage / upgradability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The Garmin Nuvi 360 is excellent - it's about €630 in Halford's in Coolock.

This is a fancier version of the one I have, the Nuvi 300. It has a couple of really great features.

The one I really envy is that if you have a listed phone number for the place you're going to - say, some tiny office in the back passage of an entangled industrial estate - you can enter it and press Go, and the Nuvi 360 will guide you to the place.

It comes preloaded with maps for all of Europe, unlike the Nuvi 300, which has Ireland and Britain.

And if you're driving in Britain or Europe, it can give you traffic reports, and route you around traffic jams.

Garmin don't currently do Mac support, but they're planning to launch Mac support early next year.

Their only real competitor, I'm told is TomTom. I haven't used TomToms, but taxi drivers have shown me theirs (ahem) and they compare well with the Garmin. My original intention when I bought a Palm TX was to spend just €100 or so in also buying the TomTom GPS module for it.

But when I read the customer reviews damning the tech support, I backed off fast, and got the Garmin instead.

Others will give more information, and probably more technical information, I hope.

I had a good experience buying from Halford's in Coolock - nice people, didn't try to rip me off, didn't pretend to know stuff they should know, and found out what they didn't know and rang me back; when I had my usual idiotic technical problems (caused by my own non-techiness) they dealt with them patiently, courteously and helpfully.

Advertisement