Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faster access to boards.ie!

Options
  • 29-09-2006 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

If this has been posted recently then please don't all jump on me because I don't read every single thread on this site.

I have found that accessing boards via http://pie.boards.ie is much faster than using http://www.boards.ie.

I hope that helps out bit but I'm sure a few of you already knew that but were keeping it secret ;)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

petes wrote:

Would you like to explain this one to me? Please?

Does anyone know why pie.boards.ie loads faster? The images still seem to load slowly but at least the pages open up before waiting for the images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

If this has been posted recently then please don't all jump on me because I don't read every single thread on this site.

I have found that accessing boards via http://pie.boards.ie is much faster than using http://www.boards.ie.

I hope that helps out bit but I'm sure a few of you already knew that but were keeping it secret ;)
    Thanks for the tip CH, I just logged in via pie and it is much quicker ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

OMG - ders a Quick Reply button!!!1

ferdi wrote:

What's with all the smart ass comments? I simply made an observation that i thought would be of some help to other users since the site has been running slowly recently (and no I'm not complaining).

If someone could actually post a reply to explain why it's faster to access the site this way without including any snide sarcastic comments it really would make for a pleasant change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ferdi wrote:

omfg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

www.bertieahern.boards.ie is fast as well - but I think that site will come down in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I will put it like this, Think of why there are two webservers behind a load balancer, Then think of what will happen when everyone goes directly to one of those servers.......

Asok wrote:
    I will put it like this, Think of why there are two webservers behind a load balancer, Then think of what will happen when everyone goes directly to one of those servers.......

Fair enough but how do URL's like [something random].boards.ie work faster than www.boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Two web servers. Main one being www. Majority of people would use that thus increasing the load. Wouldn't be as much traffic on the [something random]

• Advertisement

petes wrote:
    Two web servers. Main one being www. Majority of people would use that thus increasing the load. Wouldn't be as much traffic on the [something random]

Thanks petes, web hosting isn't something I know a lot about so I was just curious about how it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

when you use a xxx.boards.ie your cookies do not recognise you as being logged in and you get a slightly different menu which may load quicker.

I'm no webmaster but I don't think loadings on www. or xxx. are making a difference, the load balancing rules would handle that if they have one installed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

the whole point of a load balancer is to send www to a few different servers which all serve the same site people!

Red Alert wrote:
    the whole point of a load balancer is to send www to a few different servers which all serve the same site people!

So by using an address such as pie.boards.ie would one be making the slowness problems worse for those using www?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Possibly, depending on how the load balancing works (if it is just www. or if it's *.)
    If 1000* people are using server 1, and the load balancer (which keeps records of loads it has handled) thinks that there are only 20 people using it and then redirects another 50 requests to it, then yes the experience will be slightly degraded for those 50 (and most likely the other 1000 too) (*numbers not to scale)

This is kinda useless talk when one doesn't know about the specifics of the hardware that boards.ie uses (only a few special people do:p) and thus quite pointless.

Advertisement