Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blind spot issues!

Options
  • 29-09-2006 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me where to buy a panoramic rear view mirror? I searched countless shops, both online and standard and I can't find one.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Halfords tend to stock bits like that. Have branches in Blanchardstown and Ballyogan and probably elsewhere. Otherwise a good accessory shop, like the one in Rathgar. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭moneyblues

I tried Halford a couple of times. No joy. I've tried all the car accessory shops and DIY superstores around my area - from Skerries and on into Drumcondra! I thought there might be an Irish online shop that stocked it but again no joy. (Has to be Irish - the usual Maestro issues!) I'll keep looking - you wouldn't imagine it would be such a difficult item to find!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

moneyblues wrote:
    a panoramic rear view mirror
    Centre or side?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you set your mirrors up correctly, you will not have any blind spots.

Put your face against right side window and adjust right mirror until you no longer see the side of car. Now sit between 2 front seats and adjust left side mirror until you no longer see left side of car. Adjust rear view mirror as normal.

It takes a bit of getting used to but it does work. Drive along a dual carriageway to test it out. Stay in the slow lane and watch a car approach you in the fast lane thro rear view mirror. Just as that car disappears from rear view mirror, it will appear in drivers side mirror.

I've been using my mirrors this way for last 2 weeks and would never go back to the old way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Do you want a "blind spot" mirror or a Panoramic one

Any driving school supplier will have a good selection of different mirrors.

Company I use is RCM (Warning: site does not work in Firefox !!! apart from that good service)

If you want a panoramic here is Texautomotive

Or here Mobility Conversions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Lex Luthor wrote:

Put your face against right side window and adjust right mirror until you no longer see the side of car. Now sit between 2 front seats and adjust left side mirror until you no longer see left side of car. Adjust rear view mirror as normal.

It takes a bit of getting used to but it does work. Drive along a dual carriageway to test it out. Stay in the slow lane and watch a car approach you in the fast lane thro rear view mirror. Just as that car disappears from rear view mirror, it will appear in drivers side mirror.

I've been using my mirrors this way for last 2 weeks and would never go back to the old way.

Does this not mean you are sacrificing important mirror space just so you can see your blind spot instead of turning your head? It's hard to weigh up the advantages but I'm just wondering, why do instructors always say to check your blindspot rather than "there shouldn't be a blind spot if your mirrors are adjusted correctly" ? I think I'l still be checking my blind spot anyway just by instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Lex Luthor wrote:

Here is the report complete with diagramshttp://www.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

But if you set your mirrors to eliminate the blind spot, you will no longer be able to use then as an aid when reversing into a tight spot.

Think will stay with the quick shoulder check.

Advertisement