Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone answer me this...

• 29-09-2006 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Ok, airsoft guns under 328fps (with a .2g bb of course :D ) are legal. These guns are availible in all shapes and sizes and as as close to the real thing as is possible, full size, correct or similar materials, near enough real weight in cases, so for all the world like real firearms (appearance wise).

So why are 'replica' guns still illegal to own then (or has the law changed regarding this), take the likes of a Brownings M11, Luger or Mauser pistols etc, solid replicas, but as far as I know they are illegal to import and most UK sellers wont ship to Ireland.

Has the law changed regarding these or anyone have any info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Replicas never were illegal to own, but you needed to get a letter from the local Superintendent because some of them could be (illegally, and often unsafely) be reworked to fire again. I've not checked the legislation regarding them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Sparks wrote:
    some of them could be (illegally, and often unsafely) be reworked to fire again.

Cheers for the reply Sparks, what I was getting at though, was that, as far as I am aware most replica pistols etc are made from either solid cast plastics, or some metal ones might have moving parts (not unlike a childs toy with a working hammer and trigger etc). Surely there is higher potential of turning a high quality airsoft gun into a real gun than you have of turning a replica into a functioning one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

you can't actually turn an airsoft gun into a real one
    NONE of it is the same except the ourside and barrel, even the barrel is the wrong size for any bullet i know, so you'd have to make a new one or a new bullet

the inerds of an aeg is all wires and motors.. ok i probable make no sence but i'm just trying to say so many reasons that you can' t turn an airsoft gun into a real gun at the same time it's all jargon

Yeah, I realise that, unfortunately I cant convey sarcasm over an internet forum :p , I was comparing turning a solid replica into a firearm with turning an airsoft gun into a real firearm......ie, futile and not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

oooook i thought the smilie was saying that the guards are idiots for allowing airsoft guns when they can so easily be turned into real guns (any one else reading this THEY CAN'T)

• Advertisement

No jeez not at all, haha, you'd have more luck turning a broom handle into a gun then you'd have of turning an airsoft gun into one.....I better stop talking about turning things into guns :eek:.

Just so everyone doesnt get me wrong, I was comparing the reality of airsoft guns to real guns with regard to appearance. And why replicas, which look like real guns but dont function in any way are still a bit dodgy to own.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I want a Mauser C-96, but the only airsoft version fires over 328fps.......I was looking to get one for display more so than actual firing, but I'll keep looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

The Japanese Government ruled that if someone had the skill to turn an airsoft gun into a real steel gun, then they would have more than sufficient skill to merely build a gun from scratch.

Advertisement