Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Sky dsl users

Options
  • 29-09-2006 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Howdy,

Now I am desperate, my options have been exhausted and I don't feel like waiting for eircom to bother their aress upgrading my line, as it may be years. I live close to Ardrahan in Co Galway. The only wireless service is airwire and I've heard they're jokers.

So satellite is looking very appealing to me in my desparation. Anyone here use SkyDSL, and could give me some advice about the service and how much it costs including phone line costs for upload etc.

Thanks
    Tammy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

SkyDSL is not available in Ireland, it is only available to Sky Digital customers in the U.K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PunchI

Hi there,

Sky TV DSL service is not available here as Prisoner6409 has advised, however SKYdsl satellite broadband is.

I've recently bought an install pack from them (dish, lnb, usb receiver etc) and signed up to a 1mb service for E30 per month.

I've been trying to locate the right satellite for the alst 4 weeks (see previous posts my me yesterday in this forum, and the Satellite forum). I'm hoping that I've now nailed it and will be up an running at the weekend. SKYdsl themselves have advised that it's not so easy to locate the satellite from where I am (west cork), but that the rest of the country find it pretty easily.

There are plenty of other folks here who are using SKYdsl already, so hopefully they'll alos post some replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

skydsl is a one way VSAT system . It 'works' for web and email only , other services are crap on it .

there are a number of these one way VSAT services out there and they come and go with alarming frequency.

https://service.skydsl.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

SkyDSL is not available in Ireland, it is only available to Sky Digital customers in the U.K.
    They're not the Sky you know and love. They're a sat BB provider and are available in Ireland.
    http://www.teles-skydsl.com/?domain=ie

oh and Kinvara Group Broadband are not 'jokers' if you live WEST of Ardrahan

http://www.kgbb.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

hmmm, so I may have to spend a few infuriating days trying to get it installed, sounds like fun. :) The only thing that really concerns me, apart from the fact that I'm using satellite, is the cost of phone calls on top of the satellite charges. I guess I need to sign up for a flat rate package, with calls, phone line rental and monthly charges for satellite it could be crippling for the finances. Anyone who has it willing to give me a break down of their expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you are online a lot then Skydsl (nothing to do with bSkyb Sky TV folks or their UK broadband) can be more expensive than an entry level two way sat as the Skydsl system uses your dialup for every webpage request, every email etc, bacically your dialup is online when you use it. Two way satellite doesn't need the phone so you can cancel it and save 24 Euro pm now and more when they put the price up shortly. Plus save your dialup costs. Twoway sat can be under 100 Euro per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I found Skydsl software was awful if you are running XP. The PC wouldn't shut down, Windows update didn't work any more. Skydsl's response was 'it's your configuration, sort it out yourself.'
    Also you can only network Skydsl on an ad hoc peer to peer network.
    I gave up on it and changed to Mediasat, which although slower and dearer was much more professional and will operate through a router.
    However Sky dsl would't cancel so I am still paying for it until my year is up.
    If you Google "DSLVIASAT" and use the translate option you can look at the German users forum.
    I complained to the German Embassy but got nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

I was using SkyDSL for the past two years and never had any problems.
    But I have now cancelled it and switched to Vodafone 3G as I am in 3G coverage and at E50 is alot cheaper.

SkyDSL cost me E30+E20(for flat rate internet) + line rental. I am about to cancel my Eircom Phone since I only used it for internet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I am using Skydsl in Kerry and find it brilliant, it is either that or Eircom FWA and the install for that is too expensive, plus I am using Skydsl for a year and a half and have got a decent return on my investment. I wish for DSL but what ya gonna do. Hopefully next year I am hoping. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tammy wrote:
    Howdy,

The only wireless service is airwire and I've heard they're jokers.

I don't know, who gave you that impression, but Airwire provides currently an area that spans from Ballyvaughan to Loughrea and Abbeyknockmoy to Gort. If we were jokers, we woulnd't have covered an area that big. Some of these areas are DSL enabled and people still go for Airwire instead.

Feel free to call me if you want to know more, my phoneno. is 087-935 9770. We can also be reached via email, by mailing support@airwire.ie or a PM here will do, too.

/Marlow

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

fair enough Marlow. Apologies, jokers was a bit strong as I've no first hand experience of your service. However I still think your prices are a bit steep. Though beggars can't be choosers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

tammy wrote:
    Howdy,

Now I am desperate, my options have been exhausted and I don't feel like waiting for eircom to bother their aress upgrading my line, as it may be years. I live close to Ardrahan in Co Galway. The only wireless service is airwire and I've heard they're jokers.

So satellite is looking very appealing to me in my desparation. Anyone here use SkyDSL, and could give me some advice about the service and how much it costs including phone line costs for upload etc.

Thanks
    Tammy

You may want to call Clarinbridge Broadband URL="http://www.clarinbridgebroadband.com"]http://www.clarinbridgebroadband.com[/URL. This is fixed-wireless broadband.

I believe one subscriber resides around 11 km from the mast. Well worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tammy wrote:
    fair enough Marlow. Apologies, jokers was a bit strong as I've no first hand experience of your service. However I still think your prices are a bit steep. Though beggars can't be choosers.:)

The installation pricing might be quite steep, but it is not cheap to roll out broadband in rural areas, especially when we are talking a business, that has been established without investors or government funding. Even with the 300 eur installation fee, we still loose out on an install, thus 6 months minimum term. After that, you can quit with a months notice, if you want to.

In regards to the monthly fees, the pricing is quite competitive. Let me give you an example:

Digiweb DSL : 22.99 EUR, 10 GB cap, 1m/128k, you will have to pay your line rental at 24.18 EUR, which is a total of 47.17 EUR/month

Airwire : 38 EUR, NO cap, 1m/256k and you will need no phoneline for our service, in time we will even give you a phoneservice at no line rental.

I can't really see, where that pricing is expensive, but of course, the choice is yours.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager, Airwire

Lighthouse Networks have also started to offer service east of Galway City towards Loughrea and Clarinbridge and are also well worth a look instead of grotty VSAT . Not in Ardrahan but close .

http://www.lightnet.ie/coverage.htm

Choice is good, eh Tammy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

emaherx wrote:
    But I have now cancelled it and switched to Vodafone 3G as I am in 3G coverage and at E50 is alot cheaper.

Any chance of a wee bit of info on this please ? I'm being thick but are you saying you get BB from a 3g card in your laptop ? any urls at all ?

Thanks

Fatboy.

fatboypee wrote:
    are you saying you get BB from a 3g card in your laptop ?

In the red and some orange bits on this map below you can get Vodafone 3G BB, not in the green bits which are the same as dialup . Avoid O2 3g , dismal cap and €950 a Gb excess charge .

MapGuideLiteView?REQUEST=MAP&WIDTH=696&HEIGHT=696&FORMAT=PNG&LAYERS=VodafoneCoverCombo.mwf&BBOX=-50000,0,450000,500000

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Sponge Bob wrote:
    In the red and some orange bits on this map below you can get Vodafone 3G BB, not in the green bits which are the same as dialup . Avoid O2 3g , dismal cap and €950 a Gb excess charge .

MapGuideLiteView?REQUEST=MAP&WIDTH=696&HEIGHT=696&FORMAT=PNG&LAYERS=VodafoneCoverCombo.mwf&BBOX=-50000,0,450000,500000

Hi Sponge Bob, thanks for the map, anywhere I can be a bit more definitive of my area ? (Ballina/Killaloe)...

Am in the hills/mountains behind Ballina and not in line - of sight of IBB..... :mad:

thanks

FBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kerryblues

i paid my fee of 246.75 euros for skydsl on 24.july.07 . as i write this i have not as yet been connected . to contact this company in ireland you need to wait for them to respond to either your email or voice mail , and over the last number of weeks they have refused to do so . i have now asked for a refund but that too has been " stone walled " by them . as i write this ,the telecom regulator in ireland is investigating on my behalf , and i have also taken other measures to secure a refund . i shall be pleased to furnish further information to anyone wishing it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭lukin

kerryblues wrote:
    i paid my fee of 246.75 euros for skydsl on 24.july.07 . as i write this i have not as yet been connected . to contact this company in ireland you need to wait for them to respond to either your email or voice mail , and over the last number of weeks they have refused to do so . i have now asked for a refund but that too has been " stone walled " by them . as i write this ,the telecom regulator in ireland is investigating on my behalf , and i have also taken other measures to secure a refund . i shall be pleased to furnish further information to anyone wishing it .

Is this the service you've signed up for?http://www.teles-skydsl.com/
    If it is then I don't know how you got charged 246.75 euros. Mine cost €100 for the dish, USB box and delivery.

• Advertisement

There are different agents selling the Europe wide non-Irish "SkyDSL" service in Ireland.
    I don't think SkyDSL themselves sell except for online orders and self install. It's only a download accelerator for dialup.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks for this thread - I've just been looking into skyDSL (and trying to get my head round the pricing, requirements etc).
    Also Europe Online; things seem clear enough on their website (www.europeonline.com), but does anyone here have experience of them?

Any one way "Internet via satellite" is not worth it unless you only use a few hours a week. Better value to ditch the phone line and use Mobile or 2 Way Satellite if there is no fixed wireless available.

The EOL is same PC Satellite TV card as a dialup download accelerator. Very similar service to "SkyDSL". Not a broadband at all and not true satellite Internet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

It may not be true satellite internet, but for me and many others it'll just have to do!
    My problems;
    No broadband possible on the phone line, though Eircoma (sorry - Eircom) insisted for years that I could get it.
    Cable-anything here is something on another planet.
    Local wireless broadband; I'm surrounded by townlands that can receive it, but I can't (wrong shape of hill).
    3G; I'm in a Vodafone black spot for phone calls, let alone 3G (people's phones cut out when they pass our house). Changed to O2 which is fine for calls, but doubt if any species of 3G broadband will get here any time soon.

I looked at SkyDSL's website a few weeks ago, and it had offers from €9.99, but only open till the end of October. I printed out 2 lists of helpful-looking FAQs, for marking which ones to look at the answers to later (this is what dialup on a bad line reduces the best of us to!)
    I've only just had a chance to go back to the site. Those offers are gone, with prices now higher (as far as I can see from a quick glance). I couldn't find the FAQs again on the site; tried my FAQ bookmark, but it just sent me to the home page (as did typing in the exact URL on the printout). I couldn't even find out if SkyDSL works with my OS - just buttons for ordering it. So at the moment Europe On Line is inspiring more confidence for me.
    In my limited experience of tech support based in Germany (which I believe SkyDSL & Europe On Line are), it's the most helpful and friendliest around. Is SkyDSL an exception? At any rate, I'm not signing up to anything until I get all my questions answered!
    I wonder if the other Sky has noticed the similar name? It's obviously confusing, and seems a bit cheeky - I hope SkyDSL checked it was OK (not very confidence-inspiring as a business if they didn't!)

By the way, forgot to mention I asked Sky-the-satellite-TV-people some questions, and the upshot is it's no use our waiting for their BB to get to Ireland. Not only do they have no plans for it here, but their BB option in the UK isn't satellite as I assumed - it's down the phone line (back to square 1!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

As far as I am aware, though things could've changed since I last was involved, there is European Union funding available for broadband providers who wish to setup and cater for customers within rural area's which are otherwise hard to provide for with the usual landline based services.

At the very least, you should contact the South West Regional Authority (SWRA) and enquire as to what the options are.

^^ That's to Marlow and any other providers in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

Hi, has anybody here with a skyDSL connection been able to set it up as a shared connection on a network ?? I heard that its a right pain to get it working ?

It's possible.
    Install Wingate on the PC with dialup & SkyDSL. I'm not convinced ICS works with it.

IMO though it's pointless.

2 way sat works for sharing. It has a real modem and you just connect it via a router like Cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

cheers I'll give it a shot ... let u know how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 john_25

biggest bunch of gangsters going i have had nothing only trouble from them down a load of money and there still charging my credit card the monthy fee still no service all of the above ive rang my credit card company to cancel the direct debit they told me they cant i said well cancle my card then
    i have comreg on the case not holding my breath tyhough so now im stuck with a dish thats no good to me
    do not go near these cowboys
    david in dublin has since stop replying to phone calls its diverted straight to germany and to be fair i dont blame him

• Advertisement

You can use the dish and receiver to watch FTA TV, such as BBC/ITV etc.

Advertisement