Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph O Connor

Options
  • 29-09-2006 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Just posted to say that i think this author is really great. I read Inishowen ages ago and i thought it was brilliant. The story was really enjoyable, moving and funny at times. The detectives backstory (
    The story of how he fell in love with his ex wife and their divorce over the death of his son
    ) was, i thought, very moving. But it wasnt faultless either! I felt maybe that it finished up a bit quickly and the ending wasnt as satisfying as what i thought it would be. But, its still well worth reading.

I started Star of the Sea yesterday and im about a third of the way in. Its brilliant as well so far. Fingers crossed the ending in this one, pleases me more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I loved Star of the Sea. Like some other O'C books, it has giant plot holes, but it's playful and brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

luckat wrote:
    I loved Star of the Sea. Like some other O'C books, it has giant plot holes, but it's playful and brilliant.

Plot holes, really? Oh well, ill figure them out when i finish reading it!

These are the only 2 books ive got by him. Recommend any of his other works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I particularly loved Desperadoes, I think it was called, about two separated parents going to South America to collect the body of their son, who's apparently been killed in the course of revolution or repression there. I found it hilarious, and really, really good.

On the other hand, a couple of friends froth at the mouth at this, and say it's the worst book they've ever read.

I particularly liked the fact that it had a likeable, honourable male hero: in literature, a good man is hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I liked the Salesman, must read more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I read Star of the Sea about a year ago. And while I loved it at the time I have no memory of how it finished. The last thing I remember is where
    the boat got to New York but they werent allowed off. Who killed yer man in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

I really liked the salesman & desperados. Some great characters, but the Star of the Sea!!

maudlin aul Oirish ****e. I know they were tough times, but where was the hope. Where was the Irish humour through thick and thin.

Depressing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I read his first two in the 80's. They were so bad I can't even remember what they were called and have never touched another one since.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I read one of his "Irish Male" series. Bloody awful tripe. Have avoided him since.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Joseph O Connor has a new book out by the name of Redemption Falls. Anyone read it yet? I read the back cover and it seems its a follow on from Star Of The Sea.

Advertisement