Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a decent spec compact scope

Options
  • 29-09-2006 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I have been playing with astronomy for a few months with a 5' reflector, but it wasnt mine,( was minding it while a mate moved houses) and have had to return it. i really want a scope of my own. i want something a bit bettr than the 5' reflector ( some generic brand not brilliant, shaky tripod), and i dont have a car so it has to be something not massive like a reflector. really like the Schmidt-Cassegrain and the Maksutov-Cassegrain . whats the chance of me getting a decent one for 500-600 euros that is moderately portable?

have been looking at the orion starmax 127. seems to fit the bill. about 550 dollars, but dont know where to order that from that will deliver to ireland. anything else along the line of the starmax that you could recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

You can always try:

Andromeda Optics @ 01-496 6866.
    OR
    North Down Telescopes @ 028 91 273584.

But Catadioptrics are very expensive from even the best suppliers

I am still in the process of figuring out where to order my ETX125-PE for portable use to replace my ETX70-AT Im seriously considering Telescopes.com price wise

As for finding a Schmidt i dont think its possible for that price, they are expensive and you'd be looking well in excess of €1000

The Entry Maks would be more in your price range, im not sure on irish prices but they would start maybe from €400 up. that Orion Starmax 127 i would say would be an excellent choice especially if your not interested in Go-to drive ability and i definitely wouldnt label it entry level, probably even the best in its class/price range. but would probably range over here for anything from €600 to maybe even €700-750 (hope im exaggerating but it is ireland:( ), its probably a good idea to ring around though.

As for suppliers im somewhat lost like yourself. but definitely do not settle for another telescope just because it may be readily available as opposed to the Starmax, I would say a good competitor to that would be a bushnell 127mm but as far as i know there is only a GO-TO model available which may roughly come to €600 or so. But to be honest i think Orion would get my money first.

I cant really think of anything else on par with that starmax, sorry. There aren't many in that price range

Finally (shaky tripod)?? No no no no, A mount will make or break the telescope for you. stability is paramount especially when considering expenisve telescopes. a little bit shaky may be fine for quick glances at the moon or maybe a somewhat frustrating quicky of saturn too, but i presume your not buying that telescope for the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

you can get them that price in the states. it really is rip off republic. stupid country.

Advertisement