Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest England Squad

• 29-09-2006 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1553340,00.html
    Scott Parker has been recalled to the England squad after two and a half years in the international wilderness.

Steve McClaren named Parker in the 24-man squad on the FA website, www.thefa.com, ahead of Euro 2008 qualifiers against Macedonia and Croatia.

The Newcastle captain is seen as a direct replacement for midfielder Owen Hargreaves, who is out with a broken leg.

Wayne Rooney is also back in the fold after serving his two-match ban for a red card in the World Cup quarter-final against Portugal.

Charlton striker Darren Bent has dropped down into the under-21 squad to make way for Rooney.

Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher return after injury ruled them out of the games against Andorra and Macedonia, earlier this month.

Ledley King is also included after missing the last 10 England games through injuries.

King broke his foot before the World Cup finals and then needed a knee operation in pre-season, which ruled him out of the start of the McClaren era.

Tottenham boss Martin Jol left his captain out of yesterday's UEFA Cup tie against Slavia Prague because of another problem with his knee but McClaren expects the defender to be fit.

King's Spurs team-mate Michael Dawson and Charlton's Luke Young have both been dropped.

Joe Cole, who suffered a reaction to his knee injury on his return for Chelsea, is not ready.

Parker has won two England caps, the last of which came as a brief substitute against Sweden in March 2004.

He was dropped onto the stand-by list for Euro 2004 and never picked by Sven-Goran Eriksson again.

McClaren, who saw Parker play well for Newcastle against Everton on Sunday, has been impressed with his form this season.

There is no place for Jonathan Woodgate, who has been in good form since moving to Middlesbrough from Real Madrid.

And no recall for David Beckham despite the injury to Spurs winger Aaron Lennon.

Squad: Robinson (Tottenham), Foster (Man Utd), Kirkland (Liverpool);

G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Everton), Brown (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), King (Tottenham), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea);

Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Jenas (Tottenham), Carrick (Man Utd), Richardson (Man Utd), Downing (Middlesbrough), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Parker (Newcastle);

Rooney (Man Utd), Crouch (Liverpool), Johnson (Everton), Defoe (Spurs).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Parker deserves his recall, it's a shame he had glandular fever before the World Cup, really unfortunate timing. He's been performing consistently well this season (in an inconsistent team). It'll be interesting to see who gets the nod between him and Carrick (well, assuming they'd be the favourites to replace Hargreaves).

Also, very interesting to see that Lennon got a recall instead of Beckham. Will McLaren ever pick him again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

McClaren reads boards! :D

No Beckham so its goodbye for good I think.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

no nolan either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dcarroll wrote:
    no nolan either?

Hardly a surprise at this stage, is it? This must be the 150th consecutive squad he's missed out on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

7 Utd players. thats mad. suprised Foster is on there considerin how well James and Campbell have been going at Pompey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

The idea that Kieran Richardson is capable of playing international football is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'm pretty sure he'd get a place in Ireland's squad in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm glad Scotty Parker got called up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Also, very interesting to see that Lennon got a recall instead of Beckham. Will McLaren ever pick him again?

Eh? Lennon ain't in there, he's injured.

I'm happy for Parker, deserves to be in there and should be knocking on the door to the starting XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure he'd get a place in Ireland's squad in fairness!

I think you'll find he was refering to REAL international football. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Eh? Lennon ain't in there, he's injured.

I'm happy for Parker, deserves to be in there and should be knocking on the door to the starting XI.
    Oops! I'm seeing things again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Stekelly wrote:
    I think you'll find he was refering to REAL international football. :)

Why do we bother so if thats the attitude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

gustavo wrote:
    Why do we bother so if thats the attitude?

I ask myself that question sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

How did foster get in Carson is 10 times better and on fire for Charlton. The 2 of them are about the same age so both can be considered for the future.
    So stupid.

Foster is actually two years older, and has been playing regularly for Watford for over a season. Deserves his chance every bit as much as Carson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

United really should have bought Parker.. Exactly what they need tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

as a united fan, to see richardson in the squad is an insult, the lad is useless, he shouldn be near either squad, this just gives fergie a reason to play him, like fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The goalkeeping situation is quite interesting. Both Foster and Carson are good young keepers but I wouldn't like them playing international football yet. James should have been in and I think Nicky Weaver is in great form after battling back from three years out injured. He was England's number 1 at under 21 level until his horrific injuries but as the saying goes, 'class is permanent', as he illustrated against Everton yesterday.

As for Richardson.....well he's just useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'm sure you could have stuck Wright-Phillips, Pennant or even Gerrard on the left wing if Downing was injured. I can't believe that Richardson can be England's only option when Joe Cole is out. Dire player.

Also, Wright-Phillips, Richardson, Downing, Gerrard (who'll probably play on the right), Neville, Cole, Bridge, Phil Neville (?) - obviously any ideas of 3-5-2 have been scrapped. Which is a mistake, I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement