Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst lodger ever

Options
  • 29-09-2006 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi

I have a tenant who has been late for rent on two occasions along with bills. she text me and told me she would be leaving on the 18th october. She has since given me written notice backdated to the 1st of September so she doesn't want to pay for the 18 days in October. She has signed a contract stating she would give a months notice.

She has since threatened me and told me she has installed a camera in her room without my permission. Only time I have entered her room was to check that she hadn't done a runner when she was late in payment.

Is she allowed to put a camera into the room when I am the owner/occupier and it is a licensee agreement. Need to know asap.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Even if she gives you a years notice she still has to pay for the time she is living with you, so she has to pay for the 18 days, if you collect the rent monthly this would mean she has to pay a months rent for the 18 days.

With the camera as long as she hasn't done any damage while putting it in i can't see a problem with it, unless you specifically told her she couldn't when signing the lease.

Didn't you get a months rent as deposit when she moved in?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 andrea2007

Hi

Yes I have a months rent as a deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 andrea2007

Would it not infringe on my privacy rights if she set up a camera

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

All sounds really strange to me.....

The camera isn't infringing on your privacy as long as its in her bedroom. Why does she feel the need to have a camera in her bedroom? Does she think you are a perv? It would be no different than having a camcorder or digital camera.

She should pay rent for the 18 days of October regardless of notice. I think you should get rid of her ASAP, she sounds like someone that would accuse you of something untoward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Why are you so concerned about the camera, it's not like you were snooping around in her underwear drawer now is it? So you don't have anything to worry about! ;)

If I was you I'd be glad to see the back of her and forego my strict contractual rights by getting the b*tch out at the end of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

acassells wrote:
    Would it not infringe on my privacy rights if she set up a camera
    What is it about bloody amateur landlords? The tenant has a right to peaceful enjoyment of whatever it is you rent to them. Do people from the bank feel they can stroll in around your house at will just because you have a mortgage with them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ditto to the above- while she is resident in the house, it is her bedroom- and she is entitled to her privacy. The fact that she felt it necessary to install a camera is worrying- are you aware of any actions on your part, or on the part of others which might have given her the idea that this was necessary?

Also- regardless of circumstances, you do not have the right to enter her bedroom at any time- other than with her prior consent.

I suggest you have a look at the PRTB website and check exactly what your obligations and rights as a landlord are, along with those of your tenant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

On re-reading this thread- can you clarify, you are an owner occuppier of the property in question and she is simply living in the house under the "Rent-a-room Scheme" (or equivalent)? If so, she is not a tenant, and normal rights that a tenant have (other than reasonable privacy) do not apply. She is not deemed to be a tenant at all, and you are not a landlord. The oasis website have a brief description of her/your rights and entitlements.

Advertisement