Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exemptions

Options
  • 29-09-2006 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey,

does anyone know how exemptions are grades,

I have applied for two exemptions, if passed i assume you get the 5 credits but what mark do they give u,

ie: do they just give you the pass grade mark which is C 2.0
    or an A which is 4.0

im so lost, i dont want to get the exemption if i only get a C ,when i could sit the exam and get an A

i would appreciate it if anyone knows how this works and replys

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

As far as im aware exemptions are at the discretion of the college. Perhaps im wrong, but the feeling I get from you is that you have a choice in the matter, which I dont believe is the case.

An exemption is if you pass 4/5 courses for example and when you re-do that one course it will come up on your result sheet that youve gotten 4 exemptions because youve already completed them to a satisfactory level in accordance with college standards.

At the same time, your exemption grade would depend on what you got previously, so if you were repeating for example and you got 2 B's and 2 A's in the exempted courses then that would be your score and you would have no say in that.

In my case, I transfered into Tallaght in 2nd year, and the course I came from was a Journalism course. the college accepted I had done enough work in both 1st and 2nd year of my Journalism course to equal the work that AV had done in the whole of first year and allowed me to gain access to IT Tallaght. I started with a basic exemption, that is, I had the basic grade for which to pass into 2nd year and then had to raise the grade myself to get into 3rd.

Its different in different circumstances, but I hope this gives you some help
    Good Luck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tanyad

thanks for the reply,

i done a course in european studies and one of my modules was computers and another was politics in europe,

i am now doing a business course and these 2 are subjects in that course

i have been awarded 2 exemptions for these, so i think i do have a choice, i was told i can except the exemptions or go to the classes n do the exam i revieved a b+ in both and what i really wanted to know was will the grades i get be the same as what i got before, so the mark will be b+ for both subjects, so my gpa will be based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

tanyad wrote:
    what i really wanted to know was will the grades i get be the same as what i got before, so the mark will be b+ for both subjects, so my gpa will be based on that.

as far as im aware, yes they will be, and even if not as regards your GPA you should just get the 5/6 points that they award for this course allowing you to continue you on but again this is to the best of my knowledge, im not 100% sure

I think that the reason they gave you the option of doing the exam again is because legally they have to offer you that choice but with a B+ your more then worthy of your exemption

Advertisement