Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atapi.sys causing crashing

• 29-09-2006 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

So my windows is crashing.

*surprise*

How its happening is, whenever I use a bittorrent program the computer will crash to a blue screen after a few minutes. It gives the usual garble pointing towards an atapi.sys file as the culprit.

Anyway to find out whats wrong with it and get it fixed without the need of reinstalling windows or a service pack etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which version of windows ?

IIRC its a driver for the hard drive

why not a service pack ???
    are you patched up to date ?
    'cos bittorrent users tend to have bandwidth and it's not unknown for dodgy stuff to get downloaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the reason for why not a service pack is because I had a thread here couple months ago explaining that my windows XP got effed sideways during repairs and now despite all my best efforts cannot convince microsoft that its an official copy so am stuck with the version that keeeps telling me its not official (but works) and i'm not in the financial position to buy a new copy.

I think its service pack 2 at the moment. I'm pretty sure I am patched up as far as I am allowed (due to above reason) I did have to install something last week from windows. and there's no auto update symbol in the corner.

Good news.

It seems its something specific to the program I was using. Another program seems to work without fault. But its early hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Atapi.sys is the driver for the CDROM device, FWIW.

thts interesting cause sometimes after the crash when the computer reboots it got stuck at the part where the IDE drives(cdrom etc) are booted.

And I did get a new DVD RW a couple of weeks ago, surprised it took so long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips556.html
    Several programs can cause this inability to backup atapi.sys when trying to install SP2. Here's the deal.

Multiple people are reporting that they are getting "atapi.sys" errors during the installation of xp sp2.

This error is caused by programs that create virtual hard drives on your system such as Daemon Tools and Alcohol.

If you see this error, cancel the installation and disable these programs. For me, turning off alcohol was enough. Other users have reported that they had to completely uninstall these types of programs before installing sp2.

Tonnes of stuff for atapi.sys - what is the stop number ?
    are you using SATA or IDE drives

Advertisement