Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ROTR roundabouts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jumpy wrote:
    The one thing that a lot of drivers in this country dont seem to get is the fact that you must NEVER cross a lane line on a roundabout unless you are leaving at a single lane exit, and only ever when you are about to exit the roundabout.
    The amount of people that veer into my lane so they dont have to steer as much is phenomenal.
    I don't know about that Jumpy. At a busy roundabout in my area, one must approach the roundabout in the right lane to take the 3rd or 4th exit (as normal) The 3rd exit has 3 exit lanes but when one gets half way around the roundabout the left and centre lane are designated for the 3rd exit forcing one to cross to the centre lane. (The right lane becomes designated for the 4th exit (i.e. from where I entered).

If one were not permitted to cross lanes, why do they normally have broken white lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I don't know about that Jumpy. At a busy roundabout in my area, one must approach the roundabout in the right lane to take the 3rd or 4th exit (as normal) The 3rd exit has 3 exit lanes but when one gets half way around the roundabout the left and centre lane are designated for the 3rd exit forcing one to cross to the centre lane. (The right lane becomes designated for the 4th exit (i.e. from where I entered).

If one were not permitted to cross lanes, why do they normally have broken white lines.

How many lanes enter the roundabout?
    You should be going from the right lane direct to the center lane if there is two and no way to exit on all three on the other side. The markings on the road should be directing you to do so. Otherwise the roundabout must provide the ability to exit on all three lanes of the third exit. You should NEVER be forced to cross across another lane, unless there is a single lane exit. If you are, that roundabout needs to be reported as dangerous to the council.
    I suggest you take a close look at that roundabout next time you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

J_R wrote:
    Me 2. Above all the "Make up your own Rules" this must rank as the most idiotic and stupid.

Do the muppets not realise a right indicator signal means "That you are going to turn right." Nothing else.
    What if the 3rd exit is at or before 12 o'clock. I have never seen this but there are a lot of "unusual" roundabout designs around so it wouldn't surprise me.

Re: 3 lane roundabouts and crossing white lines. What Wishbone Ash says is correct, there are roundabouts out there where even though you start off in a correct lane you are forced to make a lane change as you go around the roundabout. The N4/M50 rounabout used to be like this. If you were heading south along the M50 and wished to head west at the N4 turnoff you would find this scenario. Thankfully they have now changed the layout so this is no longer is the case. I reckon it can be a difficult and sometimes impossible to design and clearly mark out a 3 lane roundabout so that nobody ever has to cross a white line of they start out in the correct lane.

It might be easier if the "white" lines were different colours depending on which direction you were coming from...then again different colours would cause major confusion for many drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Sandwich wrote:
    ...But I notice the general practice these days seems to be to indicate right if taking an exit that is more than half way round the r'bout ...

That's great, cos general practice in Dublin seems to be no indicators at all on roundabouts, really gets on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

BrianD3 wrote:
    What if the 3rd exit is at or before 12 o'clock. I have never seen this but there are a lot of "unusual" roundabout designs around so it wouldn't surprise me.

Stay left, do not indicate. Indicate left after passing the 2nd exit

• Advertisement
Advertisement