Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shark jumping.

• 29-09-2006 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

So anyone feel any shows have jumped the shark recently.

cousin sent me episode 2 of boston legal, havnt finished it yet, but get the feeling its a shark jumper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I saw a shark jumping on tv before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I hate that stupid phrase, should be banned.

As for Boston Legal; every show David Kelley has made turns to sh1t after a few seasons if not before. The characters and storylines get more and more OTT until there is nowhere left to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Terrible expression, there needs to be a show called Jump the Shark so when it goes bad lots of lousy jokes can be made.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Blame Happy Days - it started that expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Anyone care to explain that phrase...can't say I've ever come across it.

Anything like jumping the gun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The phrase specifically arises from a scene in the hit TV comedy series Happy Days. Towards the end of the show's run, the writers were challenged to come up with new, fresh stories; they developed a story where Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli is on water skis, wearing his trademark leather jacket despite the well-known negative effects of salt water on leather, and, quite literally, jumps over a shark.

Many have noted the shark episode as the moment when they realized the show was no longer worth watching, considering the scene to be unrealistic and of poor quality, making it impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief. Even before "jumping the shark" was employed as a pop culture term, the episode in question was cited many times as an example of what can happen to otherwise high-quality shows when they stay on the air too long in the face of waning interest. Producer Garry Marshall later admitted that he knew the show had lost something as the crew prepared to shoot the scene. However, as he pointed out in the reunion special that aired on February 3, 2005, Happy Days went on to produce approximately 100 more episodes after the "jumping the shark" episode. During the same special, in response to an audience member's question, Marshall introduced the notorious clip and noted how the show had inspired the term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

QI jumped the shark. It just wasn't that good last Friday for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i don't think you can say a show has jumped based on one episode - you can only really judge in retrospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I sincerally think 'The 4400' jumped the shark last series with the whole
    everyone forgetting Maia ever existed.

... was laughably crap! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The last episode of ER, it has had some crap stories in the last few years, but enough good ones to balance them out and make it still worth watching. But the last episode
    where Sam's husband is kidnapping her while he is breaking out of incarceration. And she says, "think of Alex" (their annoying son) and he says "I did" as he opens the back of their getaway van to reveal a bound and gagged Alex.

That was so crap, just on it's own that would have been jumping the shark. But when added in with the slow-mo shoot out which started after Abby raised her suspicions and then cut to a kid slooooowllllly standing by a candy machine as the bullets start flying. And Kovac lying suffocating as he's been paralysed with drugs and regaining just enough movement to rattle his gurney as he is the only one to see Abby collapse, while bleeding from her womb as we fade to credits.

Crap!:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

tvnutz wrote:
    The phrase specifically arises from a scene in the hit TV comedy series Happy Days.

In Arrested Development series 2, the character played by Henry Winkler jumps a shark.

Good one

Spoilers iguana!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That happened months ago on both E4 and RTE. I thought once something had gone out on terrestrial tv, after the first couple of weeks it didn't need spoilers as it isn't a spoiler.

iguana wrote:
    That happened months ago on both E4 and RTE. I thought once something had gone out on terrestrial tv, after the first couple of weeks it didn't need spoilers as it isn't a spoiler.
    People may be watching the series for the first time or may have missed it in it's original run...

... believe me, there's nothing worse than the nightmare i endured when i only started watching '24' recently having given up on it in it's original run to have some asshat on here spoil the season 1 ending on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

iguana wrote:
    The last episode of ER, it has had some crap stories in the last few years, but enough good ones to balance them out and make it still worth watching. But the last episode
    where Sam's husband is kidnapping her while he is breaking out of incarceration. And she says, "think of Alex" (their annoying son) and he says "I did" as he opens the back of their getaway van to reveal a bound and gagged Alex.

That was so crap, just on it's own that would have been jumping the shark. But when added in with the slow-mo shoot out which started after Abby raised her suspicions and then cut to a kid slooooowllllly standing by a candy machine as the bullets start flying. And Kovac lying suffocating as he's been paralysed with drugs and regaining just enough movement to rattle his gurney as he is the only one to see Abby collapse, while bleeding from her womb as we fade to credits.

Crap!:mad: :mad: :mad:

That was a great finale,best ER episode in a while.

AS for the 4400,
    if the future can send people back with powers and take them again,I think they might be able to make people forget Maia,wasn't anything shark jumpy about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

basquille wrote:
    I sincerally think 'The 4400' jumped the shark last series with the whole
    everyone forgetting Maia ever existed.

... was laughably crap! :D

seems to happen every episode in the 4400 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pigman II wrote:
    QI jumped the shark. It just wasn't that good last Friday for some reason.

I was dissapointed too. Maybe D just is'nt a funny letter. It depends on the panel to a degee.

Mike.

Advertisement