Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cigarette Lighter Socket Problem!

Options
  • 29-09-2006 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I have a 2000 Fiat Punto. The cigarette lighter socket doesn't work at all, ie. no power seems to be available to it. It is most annoying as I cannot charge my ipod or mobile phone with a cigarette socket adapter as the socket gets no power? Would there be a problem with a fuse somewhere? If so where would I find the fuse to replace? Or is this just something I can't fix myself?
    Thanks for any replies in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have a look in your car's manual, it should give the layout of the fuse box there. Some cars have a sticker with the layout inside the cover panel of the fusebox too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Yes, most likely a blown fuse. Check the manual for location and very importantly, the size of fuse and change it yourself. Get one in any Auto shop or many garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't know about the Punto but my Octavia, by virtue of having the cigarette lighter located between the backs of the front two seats (under the driver's left elbow) has a neat safety trick - when you switch off the rear electric windows, the lighter is switched off too. Make sure and check that there's not something strange on your car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Don't know about the Punto but my Octavia, by virtue of having the cigarette lighter located between the backs of the front two seats (under the driver's left elbow) has a neat safety trick - when you switch off the rear electric windows, the lighter is switched off too. Make sure and check that there's not something strange on your car too.

You mean you must have the rear screen heater on to use the cig lighter ??
    Not on my Octy
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I think he means the controls for the rear windows.

• Advertisement

Rear electric windows - when you switch on the child lock on the driver's door, it disables the ciggie lighter as well as the rear window switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A lot of phone/iPod charger adapters are only an approximate fit for cig lighters/12v sockets. As a result they are sometimes loose when connected and cause a short circuit which blows a fuse. If the fuse keeps blowing then get a better fitting adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

crosstownk wrote:
    A lot of phone/iPod charger adapters are only an approximate fit for cig lighters/12v sockets. As a result they are sometimes loose when connected and cause a short circuit which blows a fuse. If the fuse keeps blowing then get a better fitting adapter.
    I was just going to say that ;) ....my phone charger is not the perfect fit for the ciggie lighter in the Alfa and is constantly shorting and blowing the fuse, however it fits perfect in the other car. I think it must be the size of the cig sockets that Fiat/Alfa are using. Most definitely the 15A fuse thats blown.

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Rear electric windows - when you switch on the child lock on the driver's door, it disables the ciggie lighter as well as the rear window switches.

NOT trying to be funny but are you sure ?? After your first post, I guessed rear screen caused voltage drop..so maybe. But door switch as well (very little load here). I'll check mine out tonight in great detail, if I remember.
    I wonder if any other Octy owner can comment
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Im sure you meant to say '"Dash Hole"

TK

• Advertisement

tapest wrote:
    NOT trying to be funny but are you sure ?? After your first post, I guessed rear screen caused voltage drop..so maybe. But door switch as well (very little load here). I'll check mine out tonight in great detail, if I remember.
    I wonder if any other Octy owner can comment
    t

This is not a fault or a problem - its designed that way. Think about it - why would you be disabling the rear window switches? Probably because you have kids in the back. If you have kids in the back, do you want a cigarette lighter to be available to them? I think not. I only found out when I enquired on www.briskoda.net as to why my tyre pump wouldn't work in the cigarette lighter, despite the light being on and the fuse being ok. They told me and they were right.

Dilbert75 wrote:
    This is not a fault or a problem - its designed that way. Think about it - why would you be disabling the rear window switches? Probably because you have kids in the back. If you have kids in the back, do you want a cigarette lighter to be available to them? I think not. I only found out when I enquired on www.briskoda.net as to why my tyre pump wouldn't work in the cigarette lighter, despite the light being on and the fuse being ok. They told me and they were right.

This post sounds very convincing indeed...and logical, ..you even quote Briscoda....So I'll check mine again. But last night I plugged in phone charger with green / indicators ( can't use cig lighter, won't stay down since car 2 weeks old) and tried everything i colud think of, ie, rear door dissabler, rear heater, blower, head lights...I do mean everything on and off repeatedly , everything all together ..with engine on / off , ignition on off....And still the cig lighter had power. I wonder if it's set to do this at the computer. I notice on this Scoda the manual is not as detailed as the other skoda I had. Ab=nd there are other little tricks not mentioned, like wiper on continuous( but not fastest speed) when car stops wipers slow down to intermittent untill you movea gain. And on all wiper speeds rear wiper comes on by itself when you select reverse.
    So I'm not saying your wrong, just that I can't duplicate that scenario in my octy
    Regards...and apologies to the OP for hyjacking thread
    t

Intelligent wipers, rear wiper, etc. - I'm guessing yours is a Mk2 Octavia. Mine is a Mk1 - hence the difference????

Advertisement