Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisey Neighbours

• 29-09-2006 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a little advice. I live in a residential estate in Meath thats within the commuter line to Dublin City and have done for 6 years.
    Around 18 months ago I got new neighbours who bought the house next door. They are foreign nationals who are quite nice and polite.
    At first there was an awful lot of work being done to the house which went on into the night up to 11pm most nights.
    We put up with this as we understand that people need to make their own touches to a new home, however over the last two months or so we have become more and more irritable as at this stage the house is finished and we can't imagine what on earth presents them with the need to use power tools of every imaginable noise level from around 7.30pm to 10pm EVERY night of the week.
    My wife is now 36 weeks pregnant and very very tired all the time and this is a real pain.
    What do you think we should do? Is there a set time that we have to tollerate this until each night? It's just sooooo consistant and we find it really hard to relax in our own home, I wont put up with this when the baby is born.
    Closing the windows helps a little, but surely we have the right to an open window on warm evenings!!
    Any advice is appreciated.

Jarvis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

have a quiet word with them. Simply ask them what all the noise is for. Chances are that they'll be sufficently mortified that they'll cut down on the power tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ask them to be quiet initially, I think there might be some law about noise after 8pm in built up areas during summer time I'm not sure. Otherwise keep a diary of their times and dates when they won't calm it down and make a complaint to local gardai or their landlord if they have one. If all else fails think of the payback when you have a newborn screaming for 5 hours endlessly every night through teething:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Have to agree, I would have a word frist, then take it from there. As far ar I'm aware the cut off time for loud noise is 10.00 or 11.00, but I could be wrong. However, I do think people need to consider the people who live close to them. I train regularly on a punch bag, makes a lot of noise. However, I will never train after 9.00, it would just be inconsiderate. if the quite word does'nt sort it, ring Meath Counsel, about noise polution. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

I think the cut off time is actually a big earlier than that.
    It's difficult to get legal assistance on it though. The Dept of Environment is who you go to, and they say that you must first approach your neighbour and try to resolve it personally.
    After that you have to get court orders for noise tests, etc, and I think it's a very lengthy process.

Thing to do is ring the Dept of Environment and find out what rules explicity apply to construction noise, I think they fall into a different category than loud music etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

OP,

I agree with the others, I'd have a chat with them first. However, if that doesn't work for you, there's a lot of information about noise pollution in this PDF file, if you want to take further action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Make sure to keep a log and record how many nights a week they are being disruptive, if you have to bring it any further to the council or whatever if the chat with them does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

If they're voilent people tip off the Gardaí after 9pm, the Gardaí will deal confidentialy with them and maybe a small fine.

If they're nice people(as you describe), say "My Wife is 36weeks pregnan, and is annoyed by the noise levels, any chance of cooling the noise a bit PLEASE"

Good Luck anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

if they are renting why not lodge a complaint with the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Thaedydal wrote:
    if they are renting why not lodge a complaint with the landlord.

is that not a bit much?

he could just try asking?

and he said tehy bought it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The cut-off time is 11pm. Ask the neighbours, as how the f**k would they know your wife is preggers otherwise? Most women, upon hearing the 36 weeks thing, would be mortified, and be very sorry. The neighbours proberly think that you can't hear them, as you've said nothing for the last 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nevf wrote:
    If they're voilent people tip off the Gardaí after 9pm, the Gardaí will deal confidentialy with them and maybe a small fine.
    Just where are you getting that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah, the key point is that the OP hasn't spoken to them yet. We all assume that someone would know how loud powertools would sound next door, and are therefore being inconsiderate by using them late at night, but give them the benefit of the doubt - as someone said, they may be mortified, and they may be very nice! drop round and have a chat - it's akward I know, but if you don't make it a problem, they shouldn't either. If you don't get any joy, then you can escalate it, but you are proably worrying over nothing. Good luck anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Your neighbours are either inconsiderate, unaware that you can hear them, or of the philosophy that no complaint means no problem (which I found to be the case where I live, more often than not). Let's face it, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that you shouldn't use powertools late and night!

Talk to them.

Advertisement