Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest Spain squad (Raul dropped)

• 29-09-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=382423&cc=4716

Spain captain Raul was dropped from the national side for the first time in 10 years for reasons other than injury on Friday when he was left out for next week's Euro 2008 qualifier away to Sweden.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wonder is the actual reasoning similar to Van Bastens behind dropping Ruud van Nisterooy? i.e. - Building a team for the future etc...

Thats quite a small squad, only two stikers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

himself Beckham and Van Nistelrooy can have a good bitching session now at training about their national bosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Amazing Aragones has not been sacked yet

AFAIK the only match he has lost is the France WC game and the NI game so it would be a bit hasty to sack him

Think he means "amazing" in a different sense! The guy is slightly outspoken!

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote:
    AFAIK the only match he has lost is the France WC game and the NI game so it would be a bit hasty to sack him
    Yeah 'only' lol. Anyway, he also lost to Portugal in Euro 04 and failed to make it out of their group. Spain will not progress with that outspoken dinosaur in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He offered his resignation after the NI defeat, but it was turned down.

He's a hero in Spain, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zabbo wrote:
    He's a hero in Spain, and rightly so.

Because of all the success he's brought them......................?

because of his status as a player and manager in Spain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My point was, that regardless of someones past, if they arent up to scratch then it's counter productive to let them carry on .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The guy is a racist div!

Mike.

Stekelly wrote:
    My point was, that regardless of someones past, if they arent up to scratch then it's counter productive to let them carry on .
    Feel free to offer names of the alternatives...

The 'racist' incident got blown hugely out of proportion, not that Spain are the most PC of races.

//Edit

Good to see he's dropped Joaquin, and brought in Angulo

Casillas
    Ramos--Pablo--Puyol--Capdevilla
    Alonso

Xavi
    Cesc

Villa----Torres
    Reyes---

kinaldo wrote:
    Yeah 'only' lol. Anyway, he also lost to Portugal in Euro 04 and failed to make it out of their group. Spain will not progress with that outspoken dinosaur in charge.
    He wasnt the manager then
    I believe they are on a definite upward spiral with probably the best group of young players of any nation in the world.

Only a matter of time before he moves on I'd say! The guy sure does get around! Been at Athletico Madrid on 4 seperate occasions...

gustavo wrote:
    He wasnt the manager then
    I believe they are on a definite upward spiral with probably the best group of young players of any nation in the world.
    Oh yeah that's right Iñaki Sáez was in charge then. Either way I've seen and followed Spain closely enough to be convinced that he's not up to the job. According to Marca polls most of the Spanish fans feels that way too.

zabbo wrote:
    He offered his resignation after the NI defeat, but it was turned down.
    He definitely offered his resignation after the World Cup and had it turned down - the general consensus amongst the Spanish was that he was unlucky against France. I believe opinion has changed dramatically since then and am unaware of any resignation on his part after the NI defeat. I'm pretty sure he came out fighting actually.

kinaldo wrote:
    He definitely offered his resignation after the World Cup and had it turned down - the general consensus amongst the Spanish was that he was unlucky against France. I believe opinion has changed dramatically since then and am unaware of any resignation on his part after the NI defeat. I'm pretty sure he came out fighting actually.
    http://www.soccerway.com/news/2006/September/11/aragones-offered-to-quit-spain-refuses/

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Fair play to him I guess, at least HE realises that he's not up to it.

Advertisement