Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid-range MTB recommendations wanted

Options
  • 29-09-2006 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've been at least eight years out of MTBing, so everything's changed. When I left, discs were items of lust, bought only by hardcore downhillers who spent all their cash on their bikes. Now I see them on mid-range bikes.

I'm looking for a mid-range (€500-€700) machine for a commute into town every day. I saw a 2005 GT iDrive being sold off at half price (well it is almost 2 years old) for around €600. It's a nice bike, but it only has V-brakes and a 24-speed Deore (what level is Deore at?) groupset. Would I be better off going for a 2007 hardtail with discs, etc?

Any help is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

seamus wrote:
    I'm looking for a mid-range (€500-€700) machine for a commute into town every day.
    TBH, if it's just for a commute into town, I'd get a road bike, and not even a decent one.
    If you're going to use it off-road as well, then try a few out (definitely hard-tail at that price range). All the major brands are pretty good, and you tend to get what you pay for. To get a decent bike at that sort of money, I'd look at the second-hand market, but do a bit of research into what to look for.

Deore < LX < XT < XTR

M

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers mate, that definitely helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Seamus, garda auction soon, wanna head along for a look-see?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Already took the plunge but cheers anyway. :)

I know halfords is the devil, but I liked the look of this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_202493_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_55069_crumb_33980-33957_parentcategoryrn_55069

It's a solid bike, a little on the heavy side, but who cares. Suspension is solid, except I've to dial the forks a little harder for city riding. Took it into town last night, 90 minutes ride in all. Very comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

seamus wrote:
    Right, I've been at least eight years out of MTBing, so everything's changed. When I left, discs were items of lust, bought only by hardcore downhillers who spent all their cash on their bikes. Now I see them on mid-range bikes.

I'm looking for a mid-range (€500-€700) machine for a commute into town every day. I saw a 2005 GT iDrive being sold off at half price (well it is almost 2 years old) for around €600. It's a nice bike, but it only has V-brakes and a 24-speed Deore (what level is Deore at?) groupset. Would I be better off going for a 2007 hardtail with discs, etc?

Any help is appreciated :)

shimano deore is around the middle now, the top of the range is hone, then saint(i think)then its the deore xtr,lx and xt followed by deore ,alivio,acera,altus, tourney and the regular SiS.
    deore is quite good, anything above is for the nut job riders. i mean i saw e75 for a rear XT derailleur!!
    what type of riding are you doin?? xc, downhill, freeride, trials, jumps etc.
    tbh most bikes under e400 with discs should be banned, the discs are dangerous and when the pads wear out...your ****ed because you cant get the replacement parts.
    i know the i-drive you were talking bout, e90 and you could have upgraded to shimano mechanical discs.the bike was already disc ready.
    at the moment halfords are running 1/3 off the carrera range with the fury at e639.it has aluminium frame, rock shox tora 130mm travel, tek tro hydraulic discs, sram x-9 rear derailleur , truvativ cranks. decent bike for e639 considering it was the guts of e1000.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&productId=202653&categoryId=55069

halfords also had 1/3 off all kona bikes but i think that has ended:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Kona Caldera or Firetrail!

c. €900 for 05 models ! or cheaper online ! great intro MTB bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

kona wrote:
    shimano deore is around the middle now, the top of the range is hone, then saint(i think)then its the deore xtr,lx and xt followed by deore ,alivio,acera,altus, tourney and the regular SiS.
    You can't put hone and saint in there - they're both for DH only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

well thats the way shimano list them on their newsletter....all under mtb
    then they give the racing groups like ultegra sora 105 etc

Advertisement