Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Zapped by lightning.

Options
  • 29-09-2006 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Guys.
    I recently got a PC that has been zapped by lightning.
    Can anyone tell me what the most major problem might be.

Would it be worth buying a new mother board or do you think too much damage might be done.

Dont know what spec it is but is about 2yrs old.

Any help most welcome!

Best Regards,

Billy.
    Limerick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Will it turn on? Any LEDs showing on the computer case? In my experience lightning came down the phone line and fried the modem, that was it. Replaced the modem and everything was fine, not everyone is as lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fonepatch

Good Man..I hope your right.
    This would be an most unexpensive upgrade.

I presume the strike came downline (modem) which would have fried the Modem...Would the main fuse have saved the the majority of compoments!

I have not tried plugging it in yet.

Hope this is`nt going to be a major upgrade as I`m invalid and on social service handout`s.

Many thanks too you for info.

Best regards,

Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Was the computer connected to a surge protector? This happened to me once, only the power supply unit got fried despite being on a surge protector - guess it took some of the shock out of it. Once that was replaced everything was fine.

Hi Stephen.

I doubt very much if a sourge protecter was in-line. Its a local goverment office (80`s style) and things of this nature are not (believe it or not) even known about.
    The guy barely knows how to turn on a PC.

Having looked at the back of this pc there is`nt a USB port in sight.
    Have not opened it but bet its 4-5yrs old.

If I could get it going I have a specific task for it running my aviation software.
    The O/S I will use will be Win.95.

Hope your right about the Power Unit as this would make it quite inexpensive to fix.
    Are these PSU`s fused?

What is the most damage you might think could have been caused.?
    Could the Mother Board have taken a blow?

Thanks indeed for your input....Its nice that you guys are willing to help.

Best Regards,
    Billy..BKA Fonepatch.
    S.Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It could have taken out the motherboard, correct, that is the worst the could happen. If the power supply alone just took the knock, they are not expensive to pick up a new one to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Had a pc once, lightning did away with both the modem and the hardrive, could see the scorch marks on both of them

Hi Nollig.

Yep I guess if you saw scorch marks she was well fried.
    I have not opened this unit yet..but hopeing damage its no big deal.

Trying to determine what has been cooked is going to be problem if Mother Board is dead. I mean after replaceing M/B would it be worth my while, as the HD and Ram could also be cooked.

***Away from subject***
    Your name means Christmas in Irish language.

Will have a look at computer this weekend and see what outcome is!

Best Regards.

Fonepatch.
    Ireland.

Advertisement