Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Traders - registration?

Options
  • 30-09-2006 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Is it time for Motor Traders in Ireland to be properly (publicly?) registered?

I thought of this idea again after looking at this NZ site -

www.motortraders.med.govt.nz

New Zealand has a great system when it comes to secondhand car sales.
    For example, all s/h cars for sale must (by law), have a form on display declaring the car's history/spec details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

All legitimate garages in Ireland have an I.D. number. Just try and get Joe Public to keep a log of a cars history in this country and supply it to the dealer when he trades it in, I'd say you'd be waiting a while. In my experience of trade-ins you hardly get air in the tyres and petrol in the tank. Most people, when thinking of trading in their car run it down before they trade, i.e. don't service it, clean it or put tyres on it. But good luck with the plan anyway.:) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

junkyard wrote:
    All legitimate garages in Ireland have an I.D. number. :

Ok, but how does 'Joe Public' check if a garage/dealer has an "I.D number"?

The 'history form' I speak of is a form which includes basic details of the vehicle for sale, which saves you having to question the salesman to get same.

I speak of these as somebody who has worked in the motor trade here for many years, AND has spent time living and working in New Zealand (....and bought a car there!);)

Silvera
    Ex-Panel Beater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If the garage I.D. number isn't on their headed paper or similar all you have to do is ask to see it. I for one wouldn't have a problem if someone wanted more information.

Advertisement