Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably been asked a million times!

Options
  • 30-09-2006 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but which ports are open on the UCD network?

Is it just 80? Or is FTP (21 etc) open also?

I noticed recently that skype doesn't seem to work in some parts of campus. Pity I guess, as I'd imagine some students could use the cheap calls etc especially those that live far from home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ports that are open on the UCD network.

Within the same VLAN: all ports.
    Between vlans: ports 80, 443.
    To external sites: none, all http and https traffic goes through proxy server.

That's my take on it.

I've noticed that about skype before. Works fine in some locations but not others. Skype is good at running traffic thru a http proxy, so try setting proxy to proxy1.ucd.ie port 8484.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

thanks, i must try that. I see some of the older res on campus are slowly being "wireless"-ified, APs going up in some buildings in merville already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

is there anyway I can use a remote admin program in UCD to use my comp at home? the default pot is 4889 but that can be chanegd obv?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I keep seeing people using MSN (/live) messenger - how is that possible? I know that uses port 80 but I've seen many more ports listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

webmessenger.msn.com :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I take a remote admin program to be Windows Remote Destop, FreeNX or VNC. Your chances of getting this to work are slim because of how these programs operate.

MSN Messenger (the fat client version) can either work in native mode or two proxy modes, SOCKS and HTTP. We don't have a SOCKS proxy because when netsoc had one it was abused by a few people. The college proxy server (a HTTP one) will happily do your MSN proxying for you.
    I'm now gloating because i've a machine on the staff network

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

valor wrote:
    is there anyway I can use a remote admin program in UCD to use my comp at home? the default pot is 4889 but that can be chanegd obv?

Only one that uses http port 80, such as logmein.It's free for the Remote Control part and you get something like three months free file transfer. I used it in my final year quite a bit - very handy since I was always leaving important stuff on my home PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Hmm I figured you could run MSN through a proxy, but a friend of mine who uses it in the library all the time says it "just works". Also, I'm sure a few of the people I've seen using it would probably not know how to set the MSN proxy settings, and I'm sure they're using the client side version. Perhaps the client pulls proxy information straight from the IE proxy settings? I can't find out myself but I'll send my girlfriend in tomorrow on a mission to find out. I know that Gaim won't connect to MSN for me (though I notice now you can set it to use global proxy settings which I suppose would equate to IE5 settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

yeah my msn 'just works'. I love it when stuff 'just works' despite my great technological inabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

how does the staff network differ with regards to the erm... "student (?)" network?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Student network is severely firewalled, inbound and outbound.

Staff network is more lenient with regard to outbound access, you are however expected to be more responsible with your use of the network, and if they don't like a machine's activity they can disconnect it.

And yes, by default MSN will pull info from IE proxy settings, like if you have Auto Detect turned on.

Advertisement