Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed is my new pup

Options
  • 30-09-2006 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Well guys im stumped

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Im stumped myself. I would guess a Mongrel and a Alsatian, but im not 100%.

Its a lovely dog by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hard to tell alright, he sure is cute though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

ye he is lovely but he wont stop crying unless myself and the partner are in the same room

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fruitcake

he kinda looks a bit like a newfoundland to me, although he might be a bit small, cute tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hehe, what a cutey! :D Can't help ya though, sorry! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

He looks part border collie, cause of the markings over his eyes and paws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I'd say a cross between a Alsatian and a terrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What a cutie! I'd say what they call 'borderline collie' - a bit of collie, a bit of labrador, maybe a bit of alsatian.

For the crying, settle him down at night with a nice bowl of warm milk with a dash of whiskey in it, and a hot bottle wrapped in a blanket in his bed. He's missing his mammy, poor little son-of-a-bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I think a clock near his bed helps too , makes up for noise of the mothers heatbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

well he doesnt have the "four sizes too big" legs that german shepherd pups have..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

Interesting that most people see German Shepherd in most mixed pedigrees as I prefer to call them. There are U.S stats that show that many calls to pounds describe strays as German Shepherd type dogs so don't worry if lots of people describe your dog as GSD and you fear the size he/she will grow to.

Looks like you have a SPROLLY to me. Spaniel x Collie but with some other breeds in there too.

Good news is mixed pedigrees are healthier than pedigree dogs and cheaper to insure too!

Very nice relaxed down position too, this means he is very comfortable and happy. Bet he is a clever one too sprollies usually are so get training fast and unlock that future learning potential.

Give him a KONG with lots of nice food inside when you want him to be alone - the licking action will calm and relax him and help him calm himself.

Good luck - what a beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Pity he has not another puppy to keep him company - its always best to have more than one dog as they can keep each other happy and don't bother the human owners so much then.
    I even see my two reassure the other when its feeling a bit agitated. Seems to work too.

He looks neat - but the pic is a bit blurred.

Can someone tell me what a 'KONG' is? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Kongs are various shapes of hollow heavy rubber yokes. Dogs love them because when you throw them they bounce asymmetrically, like something they'd hunt. You can stuff them with food too - there's one with grooves that you can fill with peanut butter (non-crunchy kind!) so they can lick and chew it out, and it cleans the teeth as they do it.

http://www.kongcompany.com/

Thanks for the replies guys. Here is another picture taken 5 mins ago. I really dont want to be leaving him on this own tomorrow when we go to work. I just feel terrible when he crys. I also meant to say how do we teach him to not go the toilet on the floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well the tan markings look sooooooo much like a rottweiller puppy.

DSCF4026-1.jpg
    This is a piccie of my new puppy rottie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Any dog can be black and tan, does not neccessarily mean the puppy is a rottweiler.

Is it safe to give whiskey to a puppy? Surely a "dash" would do a lot of harm to a puppy? He will have no resistance to alcohol and nor should he, I know people that would get drunk on a dash of whiskey because they never drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pipp

blahblah06 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Here is another picture taken 5 mins ago. I really dont want to be leaving him on this own tomorrow when we go to work. I just feel terrible when he crys. I also meant to say how do we teach him to not go the toilet on the floor?

Is he going to be alone all day?? Thats not really a good idea. Can anyone come in to check on him every two hours or so? Therell be wee wee and poos everywhere by the way, so put plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of paper down, and leave loads of chew toys around unless you want him to chew your furniture.
    Have you thought of a crate? I have two lab pups and the crates have been a god-send for toilet training and non chewing of the house. :D
    TOliet training with a crate was dead easy, loads and loads and loads of praise for peeing outside - they wont wee wee in their bed (crate) unless theyre really bursting and theyll whine to be let out. Your pup is pretty young so he wont be able to hold it for very long. That comes with practice and lots of accidents:D
    Hes gorgeous by the way, dont you just love how Puppies smell? My two are nine months old now and theyre over the dumb puppy stage finally..
    Good luck with your new little guy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Nala wrote:
    Is it safe to give whiskey to a puppy? Surely a "dash" would do a lot of harm to a puppy? He will have no resistance to alcohol and nor should he, I know people that would get drunk on a dash of whiskey because they never drink.

I would imagine alcohol would have a very bad effect on a developing puppy brain. And its liver would not be able to process it properly, nevermind the lining of its stomach.
    Alcohol & animals is NEVER a good idea.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

He's the image of one of my at 6 weeks old!

elliott2.jpg

He's 2 now, I don't have the heart to show you what he grew up to be like!:D

show me show me show me hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

blahblah06 wrote:
    I also meant to say how do we teach him to not go the toilet on the floor?

Keep taking him out to the garden every 10 minutes maybe, and when he starts to go there, praise him alot (and give treats maybe).

If you start to see him go in the house, then grab him and bring him outside to the garden again, and praise him out there.

It just takes lots of repetition and patience.

blahblah06 wrote:
    show me show me show me hahaha

Are you sure, you might want to give him back! :p

ye plz

You asked! :D

bel.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

omg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

blahblah06 wrote:

I use have a dog, but sadly we had to put it down as it was 18years old. What we use do was if went toilet in the house we but give out and a little slap and put his face in it and bring him out the back. Then as a previous poster says once it goes in garden praise it and let it know your happy.

In house be nasty :)
    Out side be excited:D

Where about's or who did you purchase the puppy from? I was just curious to know if they had any left as i would be very interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

blahblah06 wrote:
    omg...

What's wrong with him - I still think he looks nice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I use have a dog, but sadly we had to put it down as it was 18years old. What we use do was if went toilet in the house we but give out and a little slap and put his face in it and bring him out the back. Then as a previous poster says once it goes in garden praise it and let it know your happy.

Please don't do this - the dog doesn't have human logic so he won't get that it's bad to pee on the carpet - he'll just be scared and think you are being nasty and it's just bad to pee.
    People stick dogs noses in poop too and I have come across cases where dogs are scared to poop and eat it to hide it as they think it's a bad thing.

Praise the dog for doing it right and just mop up accidents and don't say anything . It's taken me one whole year to get my beagle mix housetrained as her previous owner stuck her nose in her pee and she would go to great lengths to hise it - i.e peeing under the bed and in corners etc.
    In the end I had to have a behaviourist advise and she agreed that the sticking her nose in it and shouting at her and hitting her just mad her afraid to take a wizz - sad really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I use have a dog, but sadly we had to put it down as it was 18years old. What we use do was if went toilet in the house we but give out and a little slap and put his face in it.

Where about's or who did you purchase the puppy from? I was just curious to know if they had any left as i would be very interested.

I doubt anyone would want to tell you where to get a pup if you intend house training it like that... there are other more effective and less damaging methods, like crate training. Many people here would be happy to explain crate training to you Im sure. And was the dog ill and absolutely had to be put down, or was it just because of his age?

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You should never need to hit an animal to get it to behave properly. What would you do if you hit your dog and he bit you back?

Advertisement