Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed is my new pup

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

What we use do was if went toilet in the house we but give out and a little slap and put his face in it and

that didn't teach the dog anything about toileting except that you didn't know anything about toileting. You reward the dog for doing something right and you interrupt any toileting they do in the house and immmediately take the dog out to show him/her where to do it. Taking a urine soaked paper towel or piece of poo with you to dump in the same spot where you give the same command every time you take the dog out is what helps the dog get the idea that This Is Where I Take a Dump or a Whiz. Act like a silly fool and say in a very high ptiched voice whatever command you give that this is the spot for toileting (high pitched voices apparently mean good things are about to hapen for dogs, according to my vet).Then like others have said, praise the daylights out of the dog whenever the dog gets what you say--use whatever works, whether it's treats or verbal praise or both, keep at it and eventually (it can take as long as six months I have heard, my dog was really fast, not even a week before she understood) the dog will get it.

It doesn't hurt to be as consistently proactive as possible and take the dog as soon as the dog finishes a drink or a meal and reward, reward, reward any efforts the dog makes. Also, it is really vital to invest in any sort of cleaner (ask your vet, I used stuff called Nature's Miracle) to wipe up any accidents in the house as soon as they happen---dogs can smell the spot and they do think of it as a calling card of the " oh right, I crapped here yesterday, THIS is the spot" variety.
    For crying out loud, please dont' ever listen to anyone who uses abuse on an animal as a teaching method (!!) and rubs its face in its own waste--you teach it nothing but that you will abuse it and the dog may even make the connection between hiding where it toilets to avoid you finding it and rubbing its face in it again.
    Positive reinforcement goes a LONG way with dogs; most dogs love to be loved and be part of the pack and please the Alpha Dog/person.

Advertisement