Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

digital corrections

Options
  • 30-09-2006 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

i know it is one of the most tabboo subjects out there at the moment. i have a '92 bmw with low mileage. the clocks themselves are in less than perfect condition. i think maybe moisture got in because some of the 'stickers' are starting to peel back. also some of the background lights don't work. also, the mpg guage doesn't work. is there someone in cork who would be able to transfer the mileage from the original clocks to a new set of clocks from a srapper?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Type correction into buyandsell search. it turns up a number of people. one is from cork.

Legallity? as you say. dodgy area

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't see the problem with adjusting the mileage to what your original clock displays - the clocks will still be displaying the correct mileage for your BMW. The leagality of it comes into question when you give the car a 'haircut'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

also if u have a service history and a receit for the close transferr it would help in resale areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i have to laugh at those ads in the buyandsell,
    DIGITAL MILEAGE CORRECTION, Cars Vans & Motorbikes,
    sounds soooooo dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

stevenk wrote:
    i have to laugh at those ads in the buyandsell,
    DIGITAL MILEAGE CORRECTION, Cars Vans & Motorbikes,
    sounds soooooo dodgy

Thats because they ARE dodgy!!

Buy & Sell should not allow such ads in their paper!
    They are doing the average motorist no favours by allowing these ads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

To "correct" is not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is your mileage often in need of "correction"? Legeal or otherwise it isnt needed and is dodgy, so they shouldnt allow it in the mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

There is nothing illegal or remotely dodgy about changing the digits on the odometer. Misrepresentation as to the true milage the car has covered is.

The people who will change the milage will quite possibly be "dodgy" people, but that is a story for another day!

Why bother doing it though. If it is a plain saloon BMW it is pretty worthless anyway, and a potential buyer will be just as convinced/equally suspicious by seeing the old binnacle as the recorded milage on the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maidhc wrote:
    If it is a plain saloon BMW it is pretty worthless anyway,

Apparently low mileage BMW's make good money second hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    ..and a potential buyer will be just as convinced/equally suspicious by seeing the old binnacle as the recorded milage on the new one.
    Although of course the old binnacle won't show any mileage without power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:

1992 is shoving on though, and still a long ways from classic status. Especially if it is a 316! :)
    Anan1 wrote:

It isn't mechanical?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

There are many cases where it is legit to change the mileage. I am NOT involved in clocking but I often fit used and new instrument clusters to cars. In these cases there is nothing wrong with setting the mileage to where it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

changing the milage is not illegal but passing the car on is although why would someone change their milage if they weren't doing it unless it's for other ligit reasons like replacing old/damaged clocks. It was on Primetime months ago that this 'correction' is fairly widespread up and down the country. They tracked this one car from auction to a garage where they put back the clock from something like 120k to 70k so it's not just individuals involved in it. I guess you should always be aware of signs that the car has done more milage that it actually has by wearing of seats, foot petals etc. But at the end of the day we're all humans and if you thought you could get a couple of grand extra from the garage (lets face it they're screwing you anyway by that amount by trading in!) by setting your clock back for e100, it would be a little tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Number 1 Rule, never trust the mileage/km reading on any car , clocked or not,

Always needs to be backed up with, service history, garage bills, ask for previous NCT printout's (if they have them) and the mileage is printed on top.
    People have been talking about www.cartell.ie, I don't know if there any good

and especially UK cars, MOT certs,HPI check.

OP. Steve Murphy (xBMW head mechanic) has his own garage down on the Monahan road (near old Suttons coal) PM me if you need the number , but he’s in the book.

Advertisement