Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Des Quits Countdown (quitter!)

• 30-09-2006 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So then after just 18 months housewives favouite Des Lynam has ended his Countdown era due to the distance between Lynam Manor and the Countdown studio in Leeds.

Who should follow the Silver Fox?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Has to be Wo-gan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

He may be a household favourite, but I can't see him getting a job on anything as high profile as Countdown. I actually thought he wasn't that bad, he had definitely improved in the 18 months that he was presenting it.

As for replacements, Terry would be an obvious choice as Noel Edmunds isn't old enough yet and is also caught up in the most popular TV Game show since the initial inception of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I really don't think Sir Tel would do it he has a daily morning radio show and a TV show on UKTV Gold proberly other stuff here and there too. They need someone who is popular but not too work challanged.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i wonder if they'll get william g stewart (i think) from 15 to 1 he doesn't appear to be doing any tv work at present, he might be a little stiff though

William G Stewart? He's as cold as a fish and doesn't have any charm and you need a likeable charming bastard for that show.

Is the other Stewart (Patrick) up to anything these days? I could see him charming the knickers of Carol Vorderman anyday.

• Advertisement

fair enough, apparently he was very charming to all the grannies in the audience at the price is right (lesley crowther version) which is why i suggested him, he had the common touch with the audience.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Joe Pasquale! :D Only kidding!

Names that come to mind:
    Gordon Burns (Krypton Factor)
    Bruce Forsyth
    Bob Holness (Blockbusters)
    Des O'Connor
    Roy Walker (Catchprase)
    Clive Anderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bob Holness would be good. Boris Johnson would be better! :D

Mike.

byte wrote:

Names that come to mind:
    Gordon Burns (Krypton Factor)
    Bob Holness (Blockbusters)
    i like those two suggestions, good idea

byte

While trying to wreck my mind for others, I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:British_television_presenters

Might help refresh the memory for other suitable candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bring back Henry Kelly*. Bob Holness gets my vote.

*for the love of God no!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Bob Holness was on Ant & Dec last year, he has gone way down hill and seemed a bit confused. I think he is nearly 80 :O

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

byte wrote:

Now that would be scary. :eek: :eek:

Christopher Lee would be great. He's getting on now and might enjoy a gig where he doesn't have to do any standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Michael Parkinson would do a cracking job I reckon and ehs a local boy too so the crowd would be right behind him and laugh at his jokes regardless of their merit.

Oh and as controversial as this maybe Pighead reckons Gay Byrne could do a job for them. All this recent Gay bashing has gotten my goat. Crap this, wishy washy that. Wait til he dies and then we'll see the eulogies pouring in for one of the few natural preenters out there.

So long Des, you did an admirable job filling Richards shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

From the existing "Dictionary Corner" pool:

Geoffrey Durham
    Gyles Brandreth
    Richard Digance
    Philip Franks
    Tim Brooke-Taylor
    Barry Cryer

Alternatively, Gordon Burns would be a great choice. He's currently reading regional news on BBC North West, which isn't exactly 100 miles from the Countdown studios.

byte

Is Gyles Brandreth that guy who used to wear stupid looking jumpers on a morning show years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

byte wrote:

good that

the opresenter would at least need to know how to speak English properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Pigman II wrote:
    Has to be Wo-gan.
    Yeah, get the defector to do it, he'd be perfect for it - won't happen though because he has to do his Radio 2 morning show from London and Countdown is filmed in Leeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

They might leave Carol off to do it on her own. I bet she'd like that, she seems to have taken over a bit since Richard died.
    It's not like she's overworked, pulling the letters out of the little shelf and doing the sums :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

She's too busy filming for these uk "remortgage with us and we will own your soul" ads.

Her quiz on Sky One seemed to have disappeared after only a few episodes.

Why don't we export Gaybo for countdown? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Better yet send over pat and tubirdy and hope they don't come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Jim Bowen FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

NOBODY has mentioned Mr. Sale of the Century himself... Nicholas Parsons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Terry Venables.

Advertisement