Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country running

Options
  • 30-09-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭

I am planning to take part in cross country races once the Dublin Marathon finishes to maintain my level of fitness during the winter and I was just wondering do you need special cross country runners (i.e with the grips) to compete or can I just use my pair of Asic Kayanos. Also is it compulsary that you can only compete in the races if you wear cross country runners. I am a full time student you see and the funds are a bit tight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TimG

Hi, just started XC season today with the Wicklow novices, was brilliant. Yep, certainly there were runners with normal runners, but a pair of spikes, which are proper XC shoes are worth a few seconds a lap. A good pair of asics will only cost ya $50 which will last ya years. Their without doubt worth it if ur doing a few XC races.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Are there many races scheduled in Dublin over the winter? I've had a look on the bhaa website, I couldn't see a whole lot there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Hey Stagger lee,

If you're looking for some running over the winter months the Irish Mountain Runner Assocation do some races although it is off season for them too. Worth checking out though and they have a very active forum.

www.imra.ie

Damian.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Thanks Damian, Just looking at the runs in January of this year, I'd like to give them a go next year. Can anyone participate, do you have to be of a decent standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

No you don't have to be a particular standard. They do have some really good guys in some of the races but there is a fun part to it as well. From speaking to a lot of them that come into the shop they don't take it too serioulsy and it's only very competitive at the front of the race.

• Advertisement
Advertisement